Solution for Tough Gelcoat Stains and Minor Scratches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solution for Tough Gelcoat Stains and Minor Scratches

Ever had some tougher stains on your gelcoat or minor scratches that don't seem to come out, especially on white gelcoat?

I recently stripped the interior out of my boat and cleaned behind the seat backs. There was rust, mildew and glue stains on my gelcoat. Using the Mr. Clean Magic Sponge, I was able to get these off without scratching the gelcoat.

I even got a scratch off I'd gotten when my boat rubbed the wrong way against a rubber bunk on my lift. It left a 2' long blue looking mark on my gelcoat. The scratch still needs to be filled in a bit, but it's hardly noticeable and we'll see if I really need to do this after I polish it with Flitz.
    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

The hull cleaner from star Brite is awesome. Wipe it on, leave it on for 30 minutes, go back and rinse it off.
    You don't even have to scrub.....seriously just wipe or spray it on.

Also, a product called FSR I found at West Marine took care of my exhaust stains.

My hull is bright white now. I'd have to take photos.
    Last edited by spharis; 02-25-2008, 09:43 PM.
    http://www.wakeboatworld.com
    []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

2nd on the Starbrite Hull Cleaner, just dont get it on anything other then F/G.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

There is some acid, that my 2nd cousin uses on his boat and were are going to use in the spring. I dont remember what its called but you wipe it on it just takes the stains away.

I dont think its available commercially though.
        Common Sense is not so Common
        Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
          2nd on the Starbrite Hull Cleaner, just dont get it on anything other then F/G.
          Good to know. That's why the Magic Sponge is pretty cool. It's not going to trash anything else.

I gotta try the Hull Cleaner for the hard to reach spots under the boat.
          Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Dog, here is how bad my stains were. I could not remove, even with a cleaner wax and a polisher. The Star Brite wiped on, I let it sit for a while, and then rinsed off. It is now bright white.

[]) [] []V[] [])

Comment

My boat doesn't look quite that bad...I'm getting some today!

Comment

how often do you guys wax your boats to help with resisting hard water? i wipe the boat down every time and use ducky for water spots but I was just curious... and do you use a spray bottle with something in it during the wipedown after pulling the boat out of the water?
                Work Hard, Play Harder!!!

Comment

I wax at least once a season, but wipe the boat down every time. We use either ducky or the eagle spray-on wet wax. Both do a good job.

Comment

I use babes to wipedown. Part of the payment of any who are on the boat. I don't crawl around underneath it though, so those stains collect over the season.
                    []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

I tried the hull cleaner and didn't have the results, but I sprayed it on. I'll try a mop and wipe it on next time. That stuff is nasty.

Comment

Let it sit overnight. It will bleach out.

I didn't think it worked either, but I went off and did something and when I came back it was super bright.
                        []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

That's what I figured. I'll try it again another time.

Comment

Working...
                          X