Deep gelcoat scratch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deep gelcoat scratch

I know it has come up before but since it is the light time of the season for posts I figured I'd post a question about fixing a deep gelcoat scratch. I nailed the dock pretty good a few weeks ago and just realized that I scratched it pretty deep. The bumper on the dock was missing and I thought I had escaped unscathed but found a good gouge this past weekend when we were out right along the line of the graphic, so it is really not that noticeable. I would like to fix it though. It's not super deep but about 3 inches long. If a picture would be helpful let me know and I can get one.

rutro scratched the wifes boat!! your in big trouble mister. you think it can be buffed or will it need to be filled?

Comment

You can get a Gelcoat paste that matches the original color from Spectrum in Auburn WA. They have a website with all the boats & colors available. I just repaired some scratches last week on mine. Looks much better. I applied it with a putty knife, let it dry and buffed it smooth. You'll need an auto type buffer though not one of the polishers.

Good luck.

Comment

Here's a link for Spectrum
        http://www.spectrumcolor.com/catalog.htm

They match PERFECT. It is super easy to do. If you just have one scratch order the paste (if available). It does not keep for more than a year, so don't order a gallon thinking you will have it on hand just in case--you'll waste your money. If you can't get the paste you can make your own, just ask them to include the filler material that you can mix into the paste at a 1:1 ratio.

If you have any questions during the process feel free to hit me up, I'll help ya get through it. Like I said, it's real easy; you just need patience and a buffer.
        Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Comment

KKO, you got that right, and she noticed.
          Stupid broken dock!!! the scratch is decently deep so I think it will need to be filled and smoothed.

That's right, spectrum. I couldn't remember the brand but knew you-all would help. Yeah, I have a nice Makita variable speed buffer that should do the job.

Comment

Working...
          X