Mildew solution!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mildew solution!!!

Well, I finally found a solution to my mildew problems. Comet Spray Gel Mildew Remover. It is the only thing that worked after trying the $14 3m mildew remover, the ammonia/hydrogen peroxide/water solution suggested by the vinyl manufacturer, oxyclean, starbrite marine cleaner, and even a mild bleach solution. I've attached some pics of the before and after treated areas. I feel like I have a new interior!!!

I just flooded the carpet before hand in case it got on the carpet that way I wouldn't risk any discoloration.
    Attached Files

A couple more.
    Attached Files

Comment

Wow! What a difference...
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/zachgarcia
      http://www.facebook.com/people/Zach-Garcia/1327360382

Comment

The results are amazing. Good find and job!

Comment

Looks awesome!!! I wonder what the vinyl maufacturer would say about the chemicals in the Comet and any long term problems.

I had mildew on my boat cover and a few methods did nothing until I used a good amount of bleach. That seemed to do the trick BUT...now 2 or 3 years later the cover has lost its ability to repel water and it leaves a spotted film any place the cover touches the fiberglass. I'm not sure if these problems are due to its age ('02) or lack of maintenance. I usually wash it once a year but I have never re-waterproofed it which I've heard you can do.

I wonder if I would have the same problems if I never used the bleach which even back then I heard is not good for the fibers?

Comment

the real question is why did you have mildew on the boat in the first place... lol

just kidding !!! looks alot better and i will remember that idea if i ever get any mildew..

Comment

I bet it is more of an age thing. 303 products makes a fabric guard that is supposed to help restore water repellency and is endorsed by sunbrella.

The comet was the only "mildew remover" that listed vinyl as a safe application. I am going to give it a couple days to dry thoroughly and then I will treat with 303. Hopefully this will keep my nemesis at bay for a little while.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnsmith View Post
                Well, I finally found a solution to my mildew problems. Comet Spray Gel Mildew Remover. It is the only thing that worked after trying the $14 3m mildew remover, the ammonia/hydrogen peroxide/water solution suggested by the vinyl manufacturer, oxyclean, starbrite marine cleaner, and even a mild bleach solution. I've attached some pics of the before and after treated areas. I feel like I have a new interior!!!

I just flooded the carpet before hand in case it got on the carpet that way I wouldn't risk any discoloration.
                man when you told me about the mildew problem i had no idea it was that bad. im glad my tip worked out for you. that looks a whole lot better.
                Last edited by kko; 10-20-2007, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Nice job on you interior.
                  Another tip I found was useing the Mr. Clean sponges, the ones that disintegrate as you use them. They work great, especially getting the mold/mildew out of the tight areas.
                  I keep them on the boat and keep it touched up.
                  If you try them get the ones with the scrubber on one side, it helps it not fall apart as fast.

Comment

Mr. Clean magic eraser works great. I thought I was the only person that had a mildew problem like that. Every spring, no matter how often I open the cover in winter, mildew. I know what I will be buying next spring for the spring clean!

Comment

Ducky

Ducky cleaner took all my interior and cleaned it up when it looked like that after we bought our boat.

I have used Ducky on a regular basis and it works great, keeps the seats soft and clean, and prevents mildew. I then use uv303 once a year and maintain it with Babe's Seat saver through out the year.

The interior looks brand new. Every year at the close of the season I unbolt and take out all my seats and clean them and the fiberglass all the way around. This cleans out all the crap underneath them to keep them nice so mildew does not grow underneath the seats.

Comment

Wow that is a thorough cleaning!!! Since our season never ends I guess I will never get that much down time unless I move. I actually thought about doing that if this did not work so I could use something more harsh that might have damaged the carpet, luckily I was able to avoid that step. I bought some magic erasers but they really didn't seem to do much with the mildew. My problem seems like it was penetrated into a sub surface layer of the vinyl so surface cleaners and scrubbing did nothing. The gel was nice cause it did not run when I sprayed it on so it could really soak the area thoroughly without making me worry about ruining my carpet. I guess I will just buy the stuff by the case now and keep it looking good so I don't have to spend an entire day off work to clean my boat!!! Well worth it though

Comment

That looks great. I will have to get me some of that stuff.

Just to add to this post, I have heard about something that you can place in your boat that helps minimize moisture and mildew, some kind of bucket filled with something that has an absorber that draws moisture out of the air.

Have any of you heard of or know of this product and where to get it?

With the tower configuration on the newer tige's the cover allows a lot of water to enter the boat through the upright openings in the cover, which then promotes and accelerates the mildew build up. Something like I that would greatly help if it exists..
                          I don't want to go to work, take me wake surfing instead!

Comment

you might be talking about damp rid. also for you guys who cover them for long a long stretch try using pie plates filled with charcol its an old school tip my dad showed me. we use it in our vaction home it works well keeping the moisture down.

Comment

I spent the day cleaning my interior. Although it did not look that bad, it was still nasty dirty from a long hard season. I opened a can of whoop @$$ on it with Simple Green, Dura Glos Mildew buster, and a soft to medium brush.

I forgot my vinyl was gray and white Tomorrow it gets a good dressing with conditioner/protectant.
                              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Working...
                              X