Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing your impellar?

have an 2003 21i with the 350 MAG MPI.

any tips, suggestions, or order of things to do to change out the impellar? (pics helpful if you have them)

just changed the oil, oil filter, and fuel filter this weekend. went very easy.

also, i noticed (or at least i didn't see) anything like a tension pulley for the belt. Is this (changing the impellar) going to be a two man job? one to stretch the belt in place while the other one bolts up the housing?

never done this before, but totally up for the job once i know how.

thanks for any help.

jeffro,

I can't help you with changing your impeller since I have a V-drive and I'm sure the procedure is different for a direct drive. However, I can tell you how to get the belt on and off.

Find the pully with the locknut (blue arrow) and bolt (red arrow) as in the picture. On mine, it's on the port side, but it could be on the starboard side as well. Loosen the locknut, then turn the bolt to the left. This will remove the tension on the belt. To put tension on the belt, turn the bolt to the right until you get the amount of tension you want, then tighten the locknut.

Good luck
    Attached Files

Comment

Hey Jeffro,

I have been waiting for someone to post some instructions on this thread. Did you ever get any information? I am going to need to change mine soon and will need some help. Hey Matt, can you get something put up about changing the impeller?

Comment

Yes, I finally have some free time to finish that article I started on that. I will post is ASAP.

Comment

cool....will appreciate that Matt! i'm pushin 130 hours , and i'm sure that impellar will be about ready to go anytime this season...

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Garcia
            Yes, I finally have some free time to finish that article I started on that. I will post is ASAP.
            Matt - How is it coming along?

Comment

Anything yet matt? I also was wondering what the normal operating temp is for your boat?

Comment

Sorry for such the long delay everyone, this warm weather is keeping me out on the boat more often and even less on the computer.

I will post it as soon as I am done. Thanks.

ichoop, the normal temp range should be in the area of 175, someone correct me if I am wrong.

Comment

Props to RZMike..... I followed his instructions a couple of months ago to find my impellor like new. It didn't need replacing at the time but I knew how. Last Friday night while putting in for the weekend, I heard a loud screaching for about 10 seconds, similar to a loose belt. A couple of minutes later the overheating alarm was activated. My son was driving, he now understands the importance of watching the guages, and shut down the engine. I took over to see the temp pushing the 220 mark. After a friendly tow back to the ramp, pulled the boat, and within 15 minutes had 10 pieces of rubber in hand. I made the 45 minute trip to the boat shop Saturday morning, bought (2) $23 impellors (I wont be caught again without a spare) and had the boat in the water by 10:00 for the weekend. I was told to watch the temp. If it didn't come up to normal (about 175-180), there may be a piece of the old impellor wedged in the thermostat not allowing it to adjust properly. I also learned you NEVER start the motor of an inboard out of the water. The friction will shred a dry impellor quick.

Thank you again Mike for the help.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X