Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

De-winterizing Merc 5.7

So, as the topic reads.
    I winterized my engine myself, drained it of water through plugs and filled with antifreeze through thermostat housing. Now I'm thinking what's the smoothest way to get it all out? Just run the boat on land and collect it in something at the rear?

How do you all do it?
    Boat is a 2000 20i with 5.7 MAG/MPI

If pink marine antifreeze you are good to go.

Comment

Meaning you can just drop it in the lake and go, the marine antifreeze is biodegradable.
      Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

The crowd always likes the smoke show it produces.

Comment

There is just something wonderful about dewinterizing.

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
            There is just something wonderful about dewinterizing.
            Yep, warm weather gets closer!

Comment

Im always a fan of running one on a fake-a-lake prior to hitting the lake. never wanted to be that guy with the boat that wont start, while the ramp is 12 deep with other boats wanting to launch, and the trailer was already pulled away and parked.
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                Im always a fan of running one on a fake-a-lake prior to hitting the lake. never wanted to be that guy with the boat that wont start, while the ramp is 12 deep with other boats wanting to launch, and the trailer was already pulled away and parked.
                Agreed. Start it at home, or at least be smart enough to back it in and start it before you drive off the trailer.

Comment

Im in the same camp as Johnnie and Chp. Run on a fake a lake until thermostat opens and check alternator voltage. No fun having the stereo go dead then the boat go dead, or overheating after you thought you did your due diligence.

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
                    Im in the same camp as Johnnie and Chp. Run on a fake a lake until thermostat opens and check alternator voltage. No fun having the stereo go dead then the boat go dead, or overheating after you thought you did your due diligence.
                    How do you verify thermostat opens? Just wait until temp reaches operating temp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bamer View Post
                      How do you verify thermostat opens? Just wait until temp reaches operating temp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Yup. Its a rare one but it can happen(thermostat stuck closed). If you let run on the fake a lake it will get up to temp and hold. If thermostat doesnt open it will just keep climbing. My cutoff is usually 180. No need to let it get really hot.

Comment

Working...
                      X