Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good product for polishing diamond plate...sharing results.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good product for polishing diamond plate...sharing results.

I recently used a product by California Custom Products called Purple Metal Polish and Aluminum Deoxidizer... and let me tell ya, this stuff is excellent. Super easy to use and not much elbow grease at all. There is a video online showing you how to apply the product, if you have the time check it out. Here are my results....Now it's not glass but for the amount of effort I put into it, I could not be happier.

Before:
    IMG_4401.jpg

After:
    IMG_4400.jpg
    IMG_4398.jpg

The Product:
    81yKHeAUt1L._SL1500_.jpg

Good find. I always used mothers in the past but its a huge mess to me.
    Oh Yeah!

Comment

Great info! I have the same diamond plate on my Boatmate trailer and would love to shine it up...as well as other stainless.
      The stuff I bought last year (303 metal polish) was pretty disappointing, especially for removing water spots on my board racks.
      Did you do it all my hand, or use a machine for those diamond plate step pads?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Just wanted to follow up on this post. I bought the above 2 bottles from Amazon for $30 on Feb 12th and got them a day or 2 later.

@Mextex, THANK YOU for posting this as I had all but given up on finding a good metal polish that works. Like your pics show, it did an excellent job making my diamond plate step pads on trailer nice and shiny again, as well as the 3yr old toolbox on my work truck!! (I didn't think to get pics at that time) This stuff was good enough for me to post a 5 star review on Amazon, I rarely take the time to do something like that...but felt this one was worth doing. Will copy/paste below in case anyone else is interested in the results, or using this stuff for their boat stuff. Also....worked awesome at making my 2014, water spotted board racks look brand new again!

My Amazon review:
        I have tried several metal "polishers" and for the most part been disappointed.
        One thing to note, is that FIRST using the green colored de-oxidizer makes a HUGE difference in the outcome, just using the purple metal polish does not deliver nearly the same result and had I not bought the combo pack, I likely would have been disappointed again. I rarely write reviews but was impressed enough to make the time to write this one partly due to results and the fact that its been so hard to find a meta polish that works, but ALSO so people know that its important to have BOTH BOTTLES and follow the directions to get the results you will want since it makes all the difference using the de-oxidizer first.
        I purchased this mostly cause I have a 2014 Centurion wake boat which has stainless on it and the trailer has diamond plate step pads on fenders and few other spots, sadly I had not found anything previous to this that worked well so the trailer diamond plate had not been maintained and was fairly dull looking. I saw someone on a boat forum recommend this cause he used it on his diamond plate which is what got me looking at this product since I had pretty much given up due to 3 other products I have tried being a giant waste of money IMO, so I was hoping this was not gonna be another $30 flushed down toilet.
        I am pretty impressed with the results, the diamond plate now looks virtually brand new and literally sparkles. Also did a section of a 3yr old truck toolbox that has never even really been washed and sits on my work truck outside 100% of the time, this polish also transformed the toolbox and brought back all the shine. Only thing I will *NOTE*, on the diamond plate where the polished sections are, the purple polish has small "beads" in it which I am sure is partly what helps polish the metal an bring it back to original shine....but it did leave some very small "swirls/scratches" in the polished diamond plate when done. Maybe that is a softer metal? This happened on trailer step pads and the toolbox, its only something you can notice and see when looking at it from real close up, but since I am OCD, I notice everything! Also important to note that on all the metals I have now tried this on, the polished areas of the diamond plate is the ONLY one that this happened on. None of the other polished metal surfaces I have used it on got any swirls/scratches at all and why I am thinking perhaps the diamond plate was a softer metal, or the finish is done a little different.
        On my boat, I have several stainless steel, polished wakeboard racks on the tower that were covered in water spots that I have been unable to remove no matter what I used in the past. Not gonna lie....it was time consuming cause I disassembled the racks totally to thoroughly clean every piece perfectly, but the difference is incredible, 5yr old racks now look brand new! I found on the areas of metal that are "brushed", I would use the de-oxidizer, let it sit and dry.....then use the purple polish (some areas required multiple coats to get all the water spots/crap off) and doing smaller sections at a time is key to working the area properly to get everything removed, but I also think it was more work mostly cause its the first time they have gotten cleaned like this in 5yrs), THEN, because of the black residue that comes off as you polish the metal, in the sections where the metal has the "brushed" metal (like really fine grooves in metal), a very fine coat of the black residue would remain in the brushed metal grooves (maybe cause I never used a "damp/wet" cloth, only dry microfiber cloths...maybe a wet cloth would have removed the residue in those areas). Anyway, 5mins after using the purple polish process, I would go back and use the de-oxidizer again and it easily removed ALL the traces of the fine black residue from the purple polish and left the brushed metal looking perfectly shiny and brand new looking.
        FYI.....Because of the black residue coming off, which means its doing its job and removing the buildup, you will need multiple cloths. I used micro-fiber for everything.

One other thing, I have custom rims on the boat trailer (brand is: gear alloy), and the bead lock at very outer part of the rim has a brushed metal look and the rest of the wheel is black.....this brushed metal has also gotten some water spots/residue over the years. You can only see it when very close up, but being OCD this has always bothered me. I have not done the entire part of a rim yet, but the other night did 2 small sections as a test. You can clearly see that this is removing all the water spots/residue and is also going to make those 4 rims look brand new, stoked about that! (Just to clarify, I am NOT using this on any of the black painted areas of rim, only the outer brushed metal surface)

After done with the metal polish, I tried "sealing" the metal parts with Jescar (Menzerna), Power Lock +, which is a polymer sealant to see if that will help protect it. I have previously used this on a variety of surfaces and it works great and leaves no residue like some other waxes/sealers I have tried.....this polymer sealant worked well on the polished areas, but wasnt sure about the brushed metal areas. After a couple tests, I found that my regular Paste Wax (Collinite 945) works very well on the brushed metal. The 945 is what I have used on the boat gelcoat many times in past (recently switched to the Jescar since it lasts longer, is also very easy to apply/buff, and looks great)! Using the 945 on the brushed metal/board racks, I put on a light coat of the paste and then without leaving it on for more than 5mins, I wiped it all off and buffed well. It left all the metal parts with a nice, slick finish that I am sure will help protect it a little bit better than with nothing.

Comment

Here are 2 pics on how the diamond plate turned out, before and after....similar results as O.P.
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X