DIY Winterizer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Winterizer

I decided to make the winterization process quick and easy this year.

1. Fill the container with 5 or so gallons of antifreeze
    2. Run on water up to operating temps.
    3. Turn on the pump and turn the 2 valves to switch to antifreeze
    4. Wait until the exhaust water turns pink (let a gallon or so go unrecycled to be safe) and slide the container under the exhaust to begin recycling.

I ran this on antifreeze for around 8-10 minutes and barely lost a drop. This ensures that the antifreeze got everywhere in the cooling system. I even dumped about 3 gallons of the antifreeze back into the jugs to be used next year. The pump is an old 1100 gph ballast pump I had laying around. The flow rate seemed to work great, at idle it dripped a little from the fake-a-lake but when I reved it up to 1000-1200 RPM's it seemed to drink it all in.

IMG_6873.jpg

I even dumped about 3 gallons of the antifreeze back into the jugs
    Id be interested in the hydrometer reading on that remaining anti-freeze.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Id agree with Mike. Could be diluted down to -20 or possible less. If you pull drain plugs on block and manifolds first a bulk of the water is out and you wont have much dilution. If you have a heater remove the hose at circulation pump and blow heater out while you have the block plugs out. When you run you will notice nothing come out. Thats block and manifolds filling. Should run pretty much straight pink right away.

Dig the setup though. Super cool.

Comment

I did the same thing this year to recirculate the RV AF. Only difference being I just put my tsunami pump right in to the tubberware bin and the hose goes straight to the main intake in the boat from the top side. No under the boat fake a lakes for me. Seemed to work well.

I also drained all water throughout the block and heater prior to doing this. My boat lives in my buddies shop and probably never gets to sustained freezing temperatures but I use it as cheap insurance.

Comment

Very good plan. I think the way you did it will eliminate most of the water and evenly dilute that which is left. Pulling most of the plugs sounds like a simple solution but it can be quite time consuming depending on your boat and your “stature”.

Comment

I keep the davis instruments air dryer 1000 in the engine compartment which creates a little heat. Typically my engine compartment is 10 degrees warmer than the outside air and it rarely gets below around 10 degrees here in St. Louis. I feel pretty comfortable with this method.

Mike, do you know of a cheap tester that would work for RV antifreeze?

https://www.amazon.com/Davis-Instrum...rine+air+dryer

Comment

Wont a typical hydrometer work? Ive never tested marine/rv as ive always tried to use it at 100%. Maybe i need to pick up a jug tomorrow and test the theory.
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Working...
              X