Heat source for the cold days.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heat source for the cold days.

So the fall has come but we’re trying to extend our season as much as possible, the weather isn’t calling for much below freezing during the night. Last night called for a low of 5 and it was at least -2. We keep our boat in an inclosed boat slip in the water. Does anyone run a 75w work light in the blige, If so where do you put it? Or would I be better off using a little space heater? I have one with a thermostat that automatically turns off of tipped over or something. Another option being to drain the water but that sounds like way to much work if we just want to go out for an hour.

I don't like the idea of having an ignition source inside the engine bay. I think a space heater could be bad. Maybe something like this?

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...FQ4IDAodH94F3g

Comment

That is definitely an option. My only concern, it’ll keep the block worm but will it keep anything else warm? With the raptor you don’t need to worry about the heater but the vdrive is full of water.

Comment

In theory if your boat is actually in the water and not on a lift your bilge temps should remain above freezing. Assuming the water in the lake isnt frozen. Lots of people just drop a work light in during shoulder season temps and it gets them by just fine.

Comment

I put a 100W trouble light underneath the engine, sort of on top of the transmission. I did a bunch of measurements and found that the engine bay stayed about 10C above the ambient air for "overnight" durations. Being in the water should also help.

Comment

Yea I should be fine, just always that worry. When I start the boat the engine temp is always exactly the same as the air and below the water so I wasn’t sure how much it would really help.

Comment

my dealer said their rule of thumb was not to worry until the temp was 24*F for 24 hours... thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by bsreid View Post
                Yea I should be fine, just always that worry. When I start the boat the engine temp is always exactly the same as the air and below the water so I wasn’t sure how much it would really help.
                When you say "same temp as the air" do you mean the two readouts on the screen say the same value, or that they both match the actual ambient temperature outside? I find in my boat the air temperature sensor always reads high because it is under the helm, hence inside the boat. So it, and the engine, are warmer than the outside air.

I don't even trust my air temp sensor - partly because it always reads high, and also because it is in Fahrenheit, for which I have no basis of reference.

Comment

The air temp on the boat and the engine temp are usually pretty close to each other. Ya I don’t know how accurate it is, seems to have highs and lows.

Put the boat inside for the meantime, hopefully a few more weekends to come before winterization.

Comment

Originally posted by MJO21 View Post
                    my dealer said their rule of thumb was not to worry until the temp was 24*F for 24 hours... thoughts?
                    Seems a little cold for my liking. 24 for a couple hours for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
                      In theory if your boat is actually in the water and not on a lift your bilge temps should remain above freezing. Assuming the water in the lake isnt frozen. Lots of people just drop a work light in during shoulder season temps and it gets them by just fine.
                      Yep. Our lakes hang around the low 50's and we have TONs of day and large cruisers that float 365. They dont drain engine water. Fresh water and AC maybe though.
                      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I Found this
                        https://nashville.craigslist.org/bpo...716918845.html
                        Personally I don't try to extend my season. I have had friends try in the past, and it didn't work out well for them (Cracked block) Witch made a lot of work for me. Not fun. So I just put the boat away when mother nature says it is time. IMO it is not worth the risk.

Comment

Working...
                        X