Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gauges on the blink!

Hi Ya'll,
    I have a couple of questions. I have a 2005 22I Riders edition, 5.7L 350 marine power engine. Raw water cooling system. I just changed my impeller, the old one was shot and wasn't working when I turned on the engine, I noticed that the water wasn't coming out the exhaust ports in the rear, I immediately shut the engine off. I figured it must be the impeller as I didn't use the boat last summer (2017) so I started with that. I opened up the impeller housing and sure enough this thing had broken pieces of rubber inside. I took out the old one and put in a new one. Fired up the engine and water was coming out the exhaust ports. I then checked a couple of other hose lines to make sure that these rubber pieces didn't get lodged anywhere else and cause any problems. I think theres a few safety features built in to keep these pieces from traveling through out the engine. everything seemed to run normal. I took the boat out to run it the following day on the lake, it still seemed to run fine. I checked my gauges and saw that my temp gauge was maxed at about 250 degrees, normal is about 175*, the exhaust manifolds were hot but not abnormally hot, I even opened up one of the drain plugs on the exhaust manifold and felt the water, it was hot but nothing that I couldn't touch, I believe the temp was probably a normal temperature because I could put my hand in it and didn't burn myself. My question is, do you think its my thermostat thats shot? or a piece of rubber from the impeller lodged somewhere causing the gauge to hit 250 degrees and over heat? Being as I can put my hand in the exhaust water and not get burned , makes me believe its the thermostat not opening up and needs replacing..any advice? Ideas? or experience with something like this.

Also, my speedometer stopped working, any experience or advice to get this problem fixed? Lines to blow out or some easy fix etc?

And my fuel gauge stops working when it reaches 1/2 tank, you can fill it to full and will drop as you use gas, but stops as soon as it hits 1/2 tank, then it won't work anymore. Ideas?

Any advice, ideas or sure fixes will be a great help before I take it in to a shop
    Maybe time to replace all the gauges on the panel, 13 years old now.

Thanks Guys

Firemangr82b1

I would check the grounds for the instrument panel. Mine were intermittent before I found some culprits. I would think the water would have burnt your hand as even 175 is def hot enough to do such. One side is sometimes hotter than the other and depending on which drain plug you removed yiu might have been touching the water that had been coming in... I know my thermostat drops to nothing then goes back up to 175 sometimes. Not sure what's going on with it though and I replaced the thermostat last year for that reason.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

For some reason I get vapor lock on my port side manifold that will cause the temp on the gauge to rise. I just crack open the manifold drain until water comes out and then my temps return to normal.

As for the speedo, I had issues with mine, however I switched it to a GPS speedo that plugs inline with the existing wiring and I have not had an issue since. Nautic Logic

I'm not sure on the type of fuel sender that they use, hopefully someone more in the know can help.

Comment

I have the same boat and had a speedo issue when I bought it. If your boat has the perfectpass pro like mine, there are likely two paddlewheels for speed. One is at the back of the boat under the swim platform. Check that the paddlewheel isn't broken or jammed. The second is under the boat and can be accessed from the compartment just behind the engine where your exhaust is. While out of the water or on a lift, remove the paddlewheel and check that it turns freely.

I also replaced the fuel sender/sensor. It's basically a cylinder with a float around it that moves up/down with fuel level. It's probably gummed up and being blocked as it descends with the fuel level. You can remove it and check or just replace it. Kind of a pain to reach it, but not too bad.

Not sure on the thermostat issue. let me know if you have other specific questions because I've probably dealt with them.

Comment

Thanks Mike, Great info, I know the paddle wheel under swim deck spins freely, didn't know there was a second one, ill check and see. I kind of figured the float in the fuel tank might be gummed up as it works from 1/2 to full, but thought id check the tige blog first to see if there might be an easier fix before I start tearing into the fuel tank, Im going to replace the thermostat too and see if that helps Thanks for your help, ill keep you posted

Fireman

Comment

Thanks for your info h20-ski, I opened both manifold drains on both sides and temperature of water felt about the same, hot but not anything that you couldn't leave your hand in for a bit, probably just normal engine temp, because if it was truly 250 degrees that would of burnt the s--- out of me. Ill have to fool around with the speedo and see what I can find, ill check into a gps one too, maybe more accurate than a gauge. Thanks for your help

Fireman

Comment

Thanks for your info h20-ski, I opened both manifold drains on both sides and temperature of water felt about the same, hot but not anything that you couldn't leave your hand in for a bit, probably just normal engine temp, because if it was truly 250 degrees that would of burnt the s--- out of me. Ill have to fool around with the speedo and see what I can find, ill check into a gps one too, maybe more accurate than a gauge. Thanks for your help

Fireman

Originally posted by h2o-ski View Post
              For some reason I get vapor lock on my port side manifold that will cause the temp on the gauge to rise. I just crack open the manifold drain until water comes out and then my temps return to normal.

As for the speedo, I had issues with mine, however I switched it to a GPS speedo that plugs inline with the existing wiring and I have not had an issue since. Nautic Logic

I'm not sure on the type of fuel sender that they use, hopefully someone more in the know can help.

Comment

Thanks h20sk8er00, I will have to look under the dash to see and check the grounds, hopefully its something easy. Both sides of the manifolds seemed about the same temp, but I did think too, that if it was really 250 degrees it would of burnt the hell out of my hand, I could actually leave my hand under it for a bit, so I'm thinking it might just be a thermostat issue, ill change that and see. Hopefully thats all it is. I might research new gauges and replace them all on the instrument panel anyways, never really liked the ones that came with the boat when I bought it in2005, plus, the digital hr portion of the gauge is all scrambled and can't see how many hrs are on the boat now. Thanks for your help, ill keep everyone posted as I find out WTH is going on, thanks again

Fireman

for
                Originally posted by h2osk8er00 View Post
                I would check the grounds for the instrument panel. Mine were intermittent before I found some culprits. I would think the water would have burnt your hand as even 175 is def hot enough to do such. One side is sometimes hotter than the other and depending on which drain plug you removed yiu might have been touching the water that had been coming in... I know my thermostat drops to nothing then goes back up to 175 sometimes. Not sure what's going on with it though and I replaced the thermostat last year for that reason.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X