checking engine oil level while in water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

checking engine oil level while in water

If the boat is floating in water, how acurite is the dipstick reading on an Indmar 5.7?

That supposed to be the most accurate they say
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Reason I ask is this. Indmar says to level the boat to check oil. While floating, neither the floor or engine are remotely level. I pumped out 5 plus quarts of engine oil and replaced with 5.5 quarts of Indmar 15w40 with new Indmar filter and fired engine. After letting set for several minutes, level looks very high. Like up into the dip stick tube high. The oil is perfectly clear and fresh looking, I do not believe any old oil had been left in the oil pan, which was my first concern. Before I had changed it, the old level of the dirty oil was at the top indicator on the dip stick like it had not used any.

Comment

Originally posted by Brianrzr View Post
        Reason I ask is this. Indmar says to level the boat to check oil. While floating, neither the floor or engine are remotely level. I pumped out 5 plus quarts of engine oil and replaced with 5.5 quarts of Indmar 15w40 with new Indmar filter and fired engine. After letting set for several minutes, level looks very high. Like up into the dip stick tube high. The oil is perfectly clear and fresh looking, I do not believe any old oil had been left in the oil pan, which was my first concern. Before I had changed it, the old level of the dirty oil was at the top indicator on the dip stick like it had not used any.
        The 5.7L is 5qt system so ya, you probably are a bit high on the stick. Shouldnt be crazy high though If you pulled out 5 qts. Fire the boat up and then check it after running. Some of that oil will "hangup" under the valve covers and you may get a reading that is closer to the full mark.

Comment

There’s always gonna be some residual oil you can’t get out unless you’re tearing the engine down completely. I always refill a half quart less than stated capacity, run it for 10/15 minutes, shutdown, let it sit for 10/15 then check it again and top off as necessary.

Comment

You may need to check your boat’s engine oil regularly, especially when going on a long trip Ensure that the lug nuts are tightened and the spare tire for the trailer is inflated, the trailer should be assembled properly. It’s advisable to use stainless snap shackles rather than ratchet straps. Don’t forget to check the coupler as well. It should be locked down to the hitch ball. Make sure that there’s no spill on the master cylinder cap seal and brake fluid.
            Last edited by Dalton07; 10-02-2022, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X