Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you damage gelcoat with an orbital polisher? Repairing sun fading.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you damage gelcoat with an orbital polisher? Repairing sun fading.

Hello, I have some sun fading on the transom of my boat. I am using 3M Marine Restorer Wax and a orbital polisher with a wool pad. After my first go round the results look good. There is some color from the boat coming off on the wool pad, which from my experience is normal. My question is...Can I continue to work the restorer wax over the transom without damaging the finish? I know on automobiles you can burn through the clear, not sure about a boats finish. The transom on my boat could use another hit with the polisher to really bring back the color to the original look.

After the 3M Restorer, I would hit it with a good polish and finish up with Rejex/Klasse Glaze and top coat with Collinite Fleet Wax.

Thanks for the help in advance

The gelcoat is pigmented resin that is about as thick as a credit card. You have a lot of thickness to work with but if you work the area enough, you can burn through it. You have a lot more to work with than and automotive finish. There is no clear coat on your era of boats so cut away until the color comes back.
    Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
    X