Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever machine washed your boat cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you ever machine washed your boat cover?

My cover is 5 years old and is disgusting inside and out. Washing and scrubbing really isn't enough for this thing any more. The outside is covered in bird ****, pollen, dirt and dust. The inside has a lot of dirt and grass stuck into the fabrics. I really think a professional wash job is needed. I've been trying to determine if I could take it to a laundromat and do it there. I happened across these instructions from MasterCraft.

washingcover.jpg

Now for the life of me I can't find any laundry soap that doesn't say "DETERGENT" on the bottle. So I'm not sure precisely what soap they are suggesting.

I also asked my dry cleaner and they didn't seem like they wanted to try.

Anyone else ever tackled this? I'd rather not have to stretch it out on my lawn, do it by hand, and then re-seed my lawn when I'm done.
    Last edited by JohnnieMo; 06-07-2018, 07:59 PM.

Johnnie- Don't know your home set up up, but if you have a fence you can put it to work. We lay our covers out over a fence(ours in chain link so we bought pool noodles and they live on top of the fence so that the covers cant get damaged). Then its the pressure washer, a soapy bucket of water, and the soft bristled nylon brush. In our case we have access to both sides of the fence so only have to flip cover once. You would have a little more moving/repositioning of the cover, unless you are buddies with your neighbor (or maybe you don't even have a fence)

Comment

I take mine yearly to the laundromat. I use their biggest machine and unbolt the ratchet from the back of the cover. I take it home wet and lay it out in my house to air dry. It dries pretty quickly because of the final spin cycle of the wash machine. It completely removes what is left of the water repellant chemical so I have to retreat it. All in its about $60 per year and the cover looks great, for a month or so.

More then the month or so of looking clean, I do it for the waterproofing I get after I retreat it. The water repellent directions day to use it on a clean cover. I run 2 cycles at the laundromat, the first with soap like normal, the second with no soap in the machine. I read once that the water repellant products works best on a residue free canvas, so the extra cycle is just to be sure no soap for left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
        Johnnie- Don't know your home set up up, but if you have a fence you can put it to work. We lay our covers out over a fence(ours in chain link so we bought pool noodles and they live on top of the fence so that the covers cant get damaged). Then its the pressure washer, a soapy bucket of water, and the soft bristled nylon brush. In our case we have access to both sides of the fence so only have to flip cover once. You would have a little more moving/repositioning of the cover, unless you are buddies with your neighbor (or maybe you don't even have a fence)
        I do have an appropriate fence.... this could be an option. Way easier than building the jig I had in my head.

Originally posted by Ryanmorgan1984 View Post
        I take mine yearly to the laundromat. I use their biggest machine and unbolt the ratchet from the back of the cover. I take it home wet and lay it out in my house to air dry. It dries pretty quickly because of the final spin cycle of the wash machine. It completely removes what is left of the water repellant chemical so I have to retreat it. All in its about $60 per year and the cover looks great, for a month or so.

More then the month or so of looking clean, I do it for the waterproofing I get after I retreat it. The water repellent directions day to use it on a clean cover. I run 2 cycles at the laundromat, the first with soap like normal, the second with no soap in the machine. I read once that the water repellant products works best on a residue free canvas, so the extra cycle is just to be sure no soap for left behind.
        See this is exactly what I want to do. What kind of soap do you use? I have a bottle of the 303 ready to go.

Comment

I used dawn dish soap worked as good as any. Stoll waiting for my new cover that’s back ordered

Comment

Ive done it to a few
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I just buy the stuff the sell out of the vending machine. Adds to the whole experience. I think last time I used a box of Tide and Oxyclean.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryanmorgan1984 View Post
                I just buy the stuff the sell out of the vending machine. Adds to the whole experience. I think last time I used a box of Tide and Oxyclean.
                This is awesome.

I tried a few places and they just ushered me out shaking their heads. I guess the cover is too big for the machines around here. So I took the fence route.... or deck to be exact. I used the pressure washer with some care and got it fairly clean.

IMG_7715.jpg
                IMG_7716.jpg

Now I just have to hope it dries before the rain comes. Then I have to re-water proof it.

Comment

I have done mine twice at the laundromat. Both times I used a product called nikwax tech wash (recommended by mike.) I wasn't sure why at the time, but at this point anything he says I treat as if it is straight from the bible so I bought it. The stuff is made to clean without removing waterproofing for camping gear. Worked great! The only reason i did it again this year is the waterproofer popped up on amazon in a deal of the day for $20, so I figured it wouldnt hurt to add another couple coats for that.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X