Motor, Trans, V-drive fluid and more!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motor, Trans, V-drive fluid and more!

Just taking care of some spring maintenance today...Motor & V-drive, and transmission fluid. I also installed some new cup holders while I was at it thanks to @Pro-Fab showing how cool it looked. Did I mention I mowed the lawn, took the fam to the Zoo, blew up a makeshift pool, and changed the oil in my truck too. [emoji16] Was a busy Sunday here but many Fundays to come! Will get a better picture at night with all the new cupholder lights. Anyway... quick poll... Do y'all do your oil changes at the end of the season or in the spring like me?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by h2osk8er00; 05-07-2018, 02:21 AM.

Busy man! Now go enjoy the fruits of your labor!
    I do an engine oil change mid season then again along with transmission fluid and drive oil before winter layup. I also pull the impeller before winter storage and replace with a new one in the spring. (Keep the old one onboard just incase I need it, I also keep spare drive belts with me)
    I don’t like my boat sitting with used oil and fluids in the various components. Some contaminants aren’t good for the metals along with any moisture the fluids may contain. Good insurance to add to the longevity of your boat IMO.
    Last edited by Jetdriver; 05-07-2018, 03:51 AM.

Comment

I did the exact same thing this weekend!!....minus the pool and zoo.

Comment

Originally posted by h2osk8er00 View Post
        Just taking care of some spring maintenance today...Motor & V-drive, and transmission fluid. I also installed some new cup holders while I was at it thanks to @Pro-Fab showing how cool it looked. Did I mention I mowed the lawn, took the fam to the Zoo, blew up a makeshift pool, and changed the oil in my truck too. [emoji16] Was a busy Sunday here but many Fundays to come! Will get a better picture at night with all the new cupholder lights. Anyway... quick poll... Do y'all do your oil changes at the end of the season or in the spring like me?

Good times. Although your zoo trip looks like it belongs in the freezer
        My main argument for doing oil in the fall is to help maintain seals. Engine oils have additives to help, but used engine oil starts to get acidic from combustion gassed making their way into the case. The more used the oil is the more used up the additives in your oil, causing PH levels to start sliding further away from 7 tpwards the acidic side. Leaving that oil on your seals all winter long is degrading that seal faster than new oil being in case for a winter layup. Just my opinion, and there's arguments to made otherwise. Just how I feel about maintenance.
        Last edited by freeheel4life; 05-07-2018, 05:23 AM.

Comment

I noticed that you are using rotella diesel spec oil. Rotella went away from gas engine compatibility about a year ago. I now use delo 4000. It's a heavy duty 15 40 diesel oil like rotella but still carries the SN rating for gas engines. I would not recommend using rotella any more bases on my research. You may want to check into it. Just Google rotella not gas rated.

Comment

Also, can't tell from the picture but the vdrive 30wt oil should be non-detergent too. Not trying to rain on your parade just passing along info.

Comment

That was my Saturday. Replace gear oil, got my bilge working again, and started loading the fat sacs and everything else back in for the season....WE READY!

I change my oil in the fall before lay up and once during the season.

Comment

Originally posted by CDAWaves View Post
                I noticed that you are using rotella diesel spec oil. Rotella went away from gas engine compatibility about a year ago. I now use delo 4000. It's a heavy duty 15 40 diesel oil like rotella but still carries the SN rating for gas engines. I would not recommend using rotella any more bases on my research. You may want to check into it. Just Google rotella not gas rated.
                I will look into it.. Been using this stuff for years.. It has always had the diesel specs on it never noticed anything saying gas engine compatible... I thought it was just called Rotella T before... not T4.. anyone else stop using it? Sounds like another oil change in my near future... Great.. lol.. Appreciate the information man..

Also, can't tell from the picture but the vdrive 30wt oil should be non-detergent too. Not trying to rain on your parade just passing along info.
                Does the non-detergent have some additive or something? This is what I have used for years.. Good to know!

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                  That was my Saturday. Replace gear oil, got my bilge working again, and started loading the fat sacs and everything else back in for the season....WE READY!

I change my oil in the fall before lay up and once during the season.
                  Need to put my ballast back in but that's an easy job... have a few connectors that need replacement though... Forgot about my bilge though.. thanks for the heads up... I need to fix mine.. I used to do mine in the fall too... but that was when I was somewhere that froze over in the winter.. not sure if that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetdriver View Post
                    Busy man! Now go enjoy the fruits of your labor!
                    I do an engine oil change mid season then again along with transmission fluid and drive oil before winter layup. I also pull the impeller before winter storage and replace with a new one in the spring. (Keep the old one onboard just incase I need it, I also keep spare drive belts with me)
                    I don’t like my boat sitting with used oil and fluids in the various components. Some contaminants aren’t good for the metals along with any moisture the fluids may contain. Good insurance to add to the longevity of your boat IMO.
                    Good input.. Sounds like most people do it in the winter.. The last four seasons I did it in the spring but haven't noticed any difference.. Heard both sides of the benefits...

Comment

Nice looking boat by the way, h20. Looks like it has been well cared for. I have a 2005 24v and it's still in like new condition. We put a lot of hrs on it but keep up on maintenance.
                      The rotella has always been diesel spec but carried the gas engine rating. About a year ago they reformulated it for diesel only so it's now a different oil than you were using. The 30wt non detergent oil does not have the cleaners needed for combustion engines. That's why it's specified for the tranny. I'm admittedly anal about maintenance so take it for what it is worth. Just wanted to share my findings.

Comment

Nice looking boat by the way, h20. Looks like it has been well cared for. I have a 2005 24v and it's still in like new condition. We put a lot of hrs on it but keep up on maintenance.
                        The rotella has always been diesel spec but carried the gas engine rating. About a year ago they reformulated it for diesel only so it's now a different oil than you were using. The 30wt non detergent oil does not have the cleaners needed for combustion engines. That's why it's specified for the tranny. I'm admittedly anal about maintenance so take it for what it is worth. Just wanted to share my findings.
                        Truly appreciate it man... I don't mind having more knowledge. Never going to offend me with providing information. Thanks!

I have had this boat since 2009 and put my fair share of hours on it like you. Not as many as I would have wanted the last few years but enough to keep me happy! Thanks for the compliment. She definitely shows her age when looking at the trailer but the boat itself has held up pretty well IMO. Still I onky have about 575 hrs on it so hope to have another 500 or so if I can just choose the right oil(s).. [emoji1360]

Comment

Working...
                        X