Infrequent Maintenance Items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Infrequent Maintenance Items

Thanks in no small part to the folks on this forum, I do my own annual maintenance with no problems and love the peace of mind that comes with knowing how to wrench on my boat. I’ve got a list of things I do in the fall and spring and feel pretty good that my engine is pretty well cared for. I’m good with the basics (fluid changes, fuel filter, water pump impeller, spark plugs, etc.) however, as my boat gets older, and after reading a few threads recently, I’m concerned I’m missing some things that should be on my radar as potentially (or shortly) needing to be replaced. Other than annual maintenance stuff, I’ve replaced 2 steering cables, a PSS and had the throttle position indicator adjusted, but have not done anything else to my boat. A couple things, like the PSS and exhaust pipes, that have “shelf lives” come to mind. I do take it in the Puget Sound (salt water!) every once and awhile, but usually drop it in a lake on my way home. Still, water jackets/heat exchangers etc. might be ticking time bombs. I’d love to hear some thoughts, ideas and suggestions for things to check/replace before they turn into major issues on aging engines.

Thanks!
    Eric

'07 24Ve, 340hp Marine Power

Sounds like you are doing about everything you need to do. Keep an eye out for water at your riser gaskets. Sounds kind of like you are bored. Since it's been in the salt you could remove hoses from coolers and try to visually inspect as much as you can with a mirror and light. You could probably find an aftermarket anode kit or if really bored switch it over to closed cooling since you are out on the Sound. Where are you at on the peninsula??

Comment

Ha! Definitely not bored! I just don't want to get bit by something I'm not thinking about. I'm up in Poulsbo but we mostly boat on Mason Lake. There are a few closer lakes but they're much smaller and a bit more "pond-like". Two years ago we launched over here, cruised across the Sound and locked up to Lake Union/Washington for SeaFair. That was a blast. You?

Comment

Working...
      X