Steering Cable Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering Cable Replacement

I need to replace the steering cable in my RZ4 and it seems a bit high(600). Someone suggested it might be possible to switch over to the drive by wire steering. Is that possible?

Check out lowcostboatingstore.com, I think mine was about $160

Comment

I have not heard of any ski boat with drive by wire steering. Some larger boats are adding joystick control with dual engines, but not single engine inboards. If there was one, it would cost a magnitude more than a cable though....

I think I ordeded one from Amazon for my 22ve.

Comment

Did they break it down? Lest say $200 for the cable through dealer and their labor rate it $100/hr. Took me 3 hrs to do the last one i did. Took less time to change a rudder on an MB.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
          Did they break it down? Lest say $200 for the cable through dealer and their labor rate it $100/hr. Took me 3 hrs to do the last one i did. Took less time to change a rudder on an MB.
          Yup that was the basic breakdown 3.5 hours of labor, but labor here in Austin is a bit more. Maybe that was also
          Including sales tax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've been doing some research and I think a lot of people have "drive-by-wire" and "throttle-by-wire" confused or use them interchangeably. I don't think there is a solution and I'm not even sure the new Tige's even have this capability. Does it really take 3 hours? I was told there's an easy way. You basically disconnect the old cable and attach the new one to it, then pull out the old one and when you pull it out the end of the new one is already in place. Seems like a 1 hour job to me, is there something more complex that I'm missing?

Comment

If you can do a RZ4 in one hour, I would hire you to do them for me.

Comment

I did my 22ve in about an hour, pretty easy to do. There's a great thread in here somewhere on how to do it

Comment

Originally posted by lancehon View Post
                  There's a great thread in here somewhere on how to do it
                  I know the kid that wrote that but a RZ4 first try in one hour would be real good.

Comment

That is how our local mechanic said he would do it and he quoted 2.5 hours.

Comment

Working...
                    X