Vinyl repair/maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vinyl repair/maintenance

Why is it the first rip or dent hurts the most?
    When I pulled my son off the boat, the pressure from my arm and his weight cracked the vinyl on the rear ski locker. First what can I do to prevent the cracks from growing? And second what is the recommended product to moisturize the vinyl to prevent it from cracking again?

I always use 303 aerospace protectant on my vinyl. Being that your boat is an 05 I don't know if there is much you are going to be able to do. The vinyl just becomes brittle as it gets older and is exposed to the sun.

http://www.amazon.com/303-30306-Prot.../dp/B000XBCURW

Comment

Not to hijack, but since we are on topic: how do you all repair a small nick in new vinyl?

Comment

Google "3M Vinyl Repair kit" It's about $10. I have has success stopping rips from growing with the glue alone.

Comment

007: Some upholstery shops can patch with a glue filler. My boat dealer had a "guy" that came to my house and filled some small holes. They color match and use some pads to try and create the same texture of your other vinyl. I find all my tares are along my seams. The worst spot being the back corner where everyone gets in the boat from the walkway.

Comment

h20 - find some sort of vinyl conditioning product to put some elasticity back into your old vinyl. All major brands of marine cleaning products will have some sort of offering in this category. I personaly use Babe's Seat Saver, but I know guys that use Hula and Performance Boat Candy. Most will be a two part process. They have one product to clean the seats, and then another to condition them.. Babe's seat soap then Babe's seat saver in my case. I have no bias towards Babe's products, it's just what the closest wake boat dealer in my area sells.. A lot of people recommend 303, and I've used that too, but the one I had was just a UV protectant with no conditioning qualities..

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations. The Texas sun eats vinyl like crazy. The most troubled areas are the are the decorative vinyl, has some hexagonal pattern which feels more plasticy than the other vinyls. I am tempted to use a hot glue gun on the cracks for now.

Comment

Working...
              X