2015 RZ4 Texas Winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2015 RZ4 Texas Winter

So I need some help here guys. I'm flying back into Austin tonight where we're expecting a light freeze. I could probably throw a little heater in there and be ok tonight. But I figure nows as good a time as any to learn how to drain the water out. I also just don't want to take any chances. I have reviewed the manuals online, but since I won't be getting in until late this evening, I thought someone might be able to tell me the spots I need to address so I'm not poking around out in the cold. From what research I've done on here, it appears the plugs vary quite a bit by model and engine. On the Raptor 400 there might be plugs on the bottom of the exhaust manifolds or a hose that connects them with a blue plug. The manual says to remove the raw water pump impeller. Is this necessary? Some have said there might be a plug in the bottom of the pump. There is a plug on the heat exchanger. Also if theres anything else I need to drain I'd obviously like to know. This is my first boat and while I'm fairly familiar with engines, I have never dealt with anything on a boat. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    BABz - babzusa.com
    Austin, TX

I'm like you, this was my first boat to winterize. It's the raptor 400.

I did the v drive, exhaust manifolds, and heat exchanger. I had a blue plug under my water pump/impeller. I pulled that plug and left the impeller in.

Seemed almost to simple to be correct!

Good luck.

Comment

Hey BJM. Where is the v drive? I don't see anything about this in the engine manual?
      BABz - babzusa.com
      Austin, TX

Comment

It's going to be under the floor that lifts up on the front of the engine below the back bench seat. It is water cooled and has an intake hose coming from the bottom of the boat. There is also a strainer on that hose. I dumped the water out of the strainer too. Mine had a big drain plug on the font of it.
        Attached Files

Comment

Oh wow. Thanks for the picture! That look pretty easy to me.
          BABz - babzusa.com
          Austin, TX

Comment

Don't forget your ballast tanks/bags. You might want to dump a couple of gallons of RV antifreeze in the vents and pump discharge lines. I think on the Raptor 400, Your heater is probably a closed system using antifreeze from the engine, so it should be OK.

Comment

Quick way to empty your ballast tanks: use a Shop Vac to suck out the drain lines (while plugging the vent lines).

On my boat, this sucks all the water out of the intake lines and pumps, too.

It would still be wise to put some antifreeze in there... Possibly funnel some in the drain lines.

Severin

Comment

If it were me I would just use a light bulb for some heat under the engine. If you also have a heater core, then heat that too. It takes pretty sustained cold to freeze up.

Comment

How did it go?

Comment

Originally posted by BJM View Post
                    How did it go?
                    Other than it being dark and cold as balls, it went great man! Thanks for the help.
                    BABz - babzusa.com
                    Austin, TX

Comment

Originally posted by PaceWithGrace View Post
                      Quick way to empty your ballast tanks: use a Shop Vac to suck out the drain lines (while plugging the vent lines).

On my boat, this sucks all the water out of the intake lines and pumps, too.

It would still be wise to put some antifreeze in there... Possibly funnel some in the drain lines.

Severin
                      I also emptied my ballast using this method and wow. There was a ton of water still in there. probably 40 gallons.
                      BABz - babzusa.com
                      Austin, TX

Comment

Working...
                      X