No announcement yet.

Quick Winterization of 5.7L PCM EX343

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you both for the responses, I appreciate both aspects.

Last question just to clarify, is it a requirement for draining the system for winterization to pull the raw water pump and/or impeller? Seems like a lot of extra work if it is truly unnecessary. My impeller was just replaced 15 engine hrs ago so I'd like to not mess with it if I don't have to.
    Last edited by jmitchell; 10-22-2015, 06:12 PM.

Comment

From the EX343 engine manual, page 44:

The raw water pump impeller should be serviced every 50 hours, or once a year, whichever occurs first.

From page 60, "Out of Season Storage":

4. Remove the raw water pump impeller. (See ENGINE MAINTENANCE) If inspection proves the impeller to be in good condition, store it in an accessible spot for re-installation at the end of the storage period. A damaged or badly worn impeller should be discarded and a new one installed at the end of the storage period. NOTE: Removal of the impeller during storage will prevent the impeller vanes from drying and taking a permanent “set”.

Note that PCM doesn't say "if the existing impeller is good, reinstall it and the raw water pump". They say to leave them detached.

In case some confusion remains about what they intend, refer to page 62, "Recommissioning After Storage":

1. Assemble the raw water pump and reinstall on the engine.

Your mileage may vary. As for me and my boat, I do what the engine manufacturer says to do. I presume they are more expert on their own products than I am.
      Last edited by IDBoating; 10-22-2015, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Thanks, I've already read all that, but I'm trying to determine if it is required for draining the system to prevent freeze damage. Even though it is item #4 on the Out of Season Storage section for draining the raw water system it does not show up in the diagram in my original post for a "drain" location. Plus, based on some other threads and Chpthril's comments about the Impeller, it doesn't seem like it is a required step. So if I'm not going to take out the impeller for the winter then I shouldn't have to pull it just to drain the system. Does everyone really take it out just to drain the system then put it back in? I have a hard time believing my dealer did that every time he's drained my boat for winter.
        Last edited by jmitchell; 10-22-2015, 06:51 PM.

Comment

The raw water pump impeller should be serviced every 50 hours, or once a year, whichever occurs first
          4. Remove the raw water pump impeller. (See ENGINE MAINTENANCE) If inspection proves the impeller to be in good condition, store it in an accessible spot for re-installation at the end of the storage period. A damaged or badly worn impeller should be discarded and a new one installed at the end of the storage period. NOTE: Removal of the impeller during storage will prevent the impeller vanes from drying and taking a permanent “set”
          These two statements from PCM seem to contradict each other. Round here, winter comes once a year but others may have winter twice a year dunno PCM states to replace it once a year, yet state to remove for the layup and reinstall in spring if it looks good. This is where one has to part with printed guidelines and draw from experience (his or others). I think impellers are more resilient than PCM leads you to believe. This is due to a CYA mentality and I understand that. Also, I have not seen any controlled data that indicates removing the impeller at layup, prolongs its life. And as noted, its a consumable, and a cheap one at that. IMO, inspecting an impeller is like pulling all 8 spark plugs to see if they are warn and need replacing. Why? if you are going to take the time to pull them, spend a few bucks and just put new ones back in. If you are set on adhering to PCMs first statement, then leave it as for the winter and drop a new one in, in the spring. No guess work, no wondering if that good looking impeller will or wont fall apart unexpectedly.

No, you do not need to remove the pump housing to insure all the water is drained. if you pull the hose off the trans cooler (easier then pulling the plug) you've drained the water form the cooler and pumps inlet. Pulling the hose off the to, gets the water between the outlet and the circulation pump.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

The raw water pump impeller should be serviced every 50 hours, or once a year, whichever occurs first.
            I interpret "serviced" to mean "inspected, and replaced if necessary". I think if they meant that the impeller had to be replaced every 50 hours or annually, they'd have said "replaced" instead of "serviced".

Based on that, their instructions are consistent. For storage, remove the impeller and raw water pump and store them off the engine. After storage, reinstall the pump and either the old impeller (if in good condition) or a new one (if necessary). If you're a year-round boater and don't "store" your boat, then the impeller should be inspected at least every 50 hours or annually, and either reinstalled or replaced. Perfectly consistent.

Based on the plumbing I would agree that it shouldn't be necessary to remove the raw water pump for draining, but every time I remove it a bunch of water dumps out so I sleep better in the winter knowing there's no water left to freeze in there. And besides, if we follow PCM's explicit recommendations for storage, the pump gets removed anyway so the trapped water is released as a happy byproduct.

I suspect (but do not know for certain) that they may draw a distinction between "draining" (as a normal in-season activity, often practiced by salt water boaters after every outing, SkiDim sells replacement draincocks to make it easy) and "storage". In the former case, removing the raw water pump is indeed a pain for a daily outing. But in the latter case, prepping for storage is a more detailed operation, and pulling three 8mm bolts in 60 seconds isn't much overhead.

Side note: I think it's wonderful that people can exchange opinions and experience here without the animosity seen on so many other forums. We all benefit by sharing.
            Last edited by IDBoating; 10-22-2015, 07:38 PM.

Comment

I do not personally know what PCM meant, but as a retired automotive tech of 18+ and now into boats, "serviced" to me, means replacing with regards to a component, "inspect" means inspecting for damage or degree of wear and servicing as needed. A transmission service doesnt mean to drain the fluid, open the filter to see if its full, then put it back together with the old filter and fluid if it looks good, it means to dump the fluid, replace the filter and look for abnormalities along the way. A brake inspection is looking and a brake service is replacing pads.
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                A transmission service doesnt mean to drain the fluid, open the filter to see if its full, then put it back together with the old filter and fluid if it looks good, it means to dump the fluid, replace the filter and look for abnormalities along the way.
                I agree, but look at the words. You said "transmission service". That does not mean "replace the transmission". It means inspect and service as required, like you said.

Now apply that to their phrasing: "The raw water pump impeller should be serviced every 50 hours...". That does not mean "replace the impeller". It means exactly what you said "service" means about the transmission, above.

I completely agree with you. "Service" does not mean replace. Otherwise, you'd be swapping out entire transmissions when you "service" them.

Thus: "Transmission service" means inspect and replace as necessary.

And: "Impeller service" means inspect and replace as necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by IDBoating View Post
                  I agree, but look at the words. You said "transmission service". That does not mean "replace the transmission". It means inspect and service as required, like you said.

Now apply that to their phrasing: "The raw water pump impeller should be serviced every 50 hours...". That does not mean "replace the impeller". It means exactly what you said "service" means about the transmission, above.

I completely agree with you. "Service" does not mean replace. Otherwise, you'd be swapping out entire transmissions when you "service" them.

Thus: "Transmission service" means inspect and replace as necessary.

And: "Impeller service" means inspect and replace as necessary.
                  but we we tossing out the consumables, as in the fluid and filter, not inspecting them and pouring the fluid back in if it looks good. If you look through most any car or boat manual, the word "inspect" is used. PCM themselves use the word inspect when they want you to look at. For this reason, I d not think they intended for inspect and service to be synonymous. Page 46 has the procedures for inspecting the belt. In the next column, they list the procedure for "Servicing" the impeller, not inspecting it.

Comment

Perhaps. Whatever they actually intended, I choose to err on the side of caution with a $10,000 engine - particularly when we're really only talking about a couple of extra minutes to remove and later reinstall three 8mm bolts. Others may decide a couple of minutes isn't worth it, and most of the time they'll probably be correct.

Comment

Wouldnt erring on the side of caution mean replacing it at the 50 hour/yearly "Service" interval

Comment

Hey, I'm already ahead of the game by inspecting and storing it per PCM's recommendation during winterization! According to this thread, their explicit instructions on pages 60 and 62 about removing and reinstalling during storage are unnecessary and optional, right?

Comment

And: In the time anyone took to respond on this thread, they could have removed the pump and impeller per PCM's recommendations. Just sayin'.

Comment

or laid around doin nothing but nursing a cold one, just sayin'

Comment

...while figuring out how to pay for engine repairs come Springtime, just sayin'...

Comment

Working...
                              X