Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! Not the way I wanted to end my season.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Not the way I wanted to end my season.

HELP! This is a 2001 Mercruiser 350 Mag MPI. Was going to surf yesterday as it was 75 out then winterize the boat this weekend. Well, I was surfing, buddy driving, and I smelled burning belt. Yelled to shut it down. Buddy dropped the boat to idle and shut it down. Turns out the idler pulley on the driver side froze and threw the belt. Alternator and water pump both spin freely and I still feel impeller drag on water pump. Buddy saw 240 on temp gauge, pegs at 250. Water found at every drain plug on cooling system once I got home. Got towed back to ramp and tried to start... no go. Pulled the spark plugs this morning and water came out. Bumped the engine over and what I would describe as a lot of water came out. Probably water in 4-5 cylinders. Seems like a lot for reversion, but then I have an FAE with no flapper and a large wave. No noises out of the ordinary though. Engine oil looks clean. So my questions as I have never dealt with anything like this:

Spray WD40/PB Blaster into cylinders and bump over, then repeat? Or ATF? Turn by hand?
    Do this a few times then perhaps try to start in the driveway, serpentine belt off (esp since I have no idler), run no more than a few seconds just to see if it will run?
    If I can get new idler pulleys (anyone got a part number or a good source?) try to run it with 2 cycle in the gas and burn off any water before winterizing, assuming it runs?

Thanks for any help! I live in the middle of nowhere and its Saturday in the off season and I know I need to address this ASAP.

Definitely get the cylinders oiled with something. Engine oil in an old oil squirt can will do just fine, so will ATF. WD-40 is a water displacement, nit really a lube. Hose down the cylinders, rotate via starter. Just make sure that the fuel and ignition are disabled.

Next, I would fix the belt and run it to see what the temp does as well as monitor the oil.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

So I put ATF in the cylinders and bumped it. I checked the dipstick and saw what looked to be a water bubble. Decided to drop the oil as a precaution and got water out. No bueno. Sigh, now what? I think the part number for the pulleys is 807757t but nobody local has any in stock. The weather is going to be poor the next few days so my ability to work on things will be limited. My plan is to refill the oil and connect everything and see if it fires. Presuming that goes well I will do a compression test and see if those numbers look OK. If OK then hope pulleys show up this week and run it keeping an eye on oil (engine and velvet drive) as well as temps. How long should I run before dropping the oil and changing the filter? I know it will take several changes to remove the water and would like to get that done before I put it up for storage.
      Last edited by surfidaho; 10-17-2015, 11:18 PM.

Comment

I had to one of my pulley s this summer and it was a Dayco brand with number on it. Being it's just an idler all you need it one that is close from an auto parts store. It will not change anything other than maybe your belt size. Good luck.

Comment

Good call, I tried NAPA and they are 3 days out as well

Comment

Working...
          X