Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

boat tune up, recommendations on what to change...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

boat tune up, recommendations on what to change...

Hello,

bought a new to me (used) boat this spring. I know a little bit about auto engines, but have no experience with marine engines. Since I don't know the mechanical history of the boat I figured it would be a good idea to do a full tune up this fall before I put it away for winter. I was going to make a list of what to do, and figured I would ask you guys what you would add to this list. Engine is a 2006 Marine Power 5.7 340HP.

-Impeller (to become a yearly maintenance ritual)
    -spark plugs, wires, rotor, distributor cap
    - flame arrestor? (does that act as an air filter as well?)
    - transmission and V-drive fluids
    - fuel filter

should I worry about belts? do these boats have a fuel/water separator that I should be cleaning or replacing?

I was also going to change the oil. While we were on that subject, how often do you guys do an oil change and what oil would you recommend? I was thinking every 50 hours and at the end of the season for sure. Does that sound about right?

Thanks for your help,

Brennen
    Last edited by killerbren; 07-29-2015, 04:57 AM.

Also, I've heard a lot about sea foam. Does anybody put it into a tank of gas to clean out the engine? if so, how much do you put in?

Comment

Probably worth changing the fuel filter. It's inside the canister which has the no step sign on top.

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...409889&alt=web

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Comment

There's what the manufacturer recommends, what people personally think, and what you'll decide to do. Here are my answers to your specific questions:

-Impeller (to become a yearly maintenance ritual)
        I replace mine annually and keep the previous year as a backup. Many people will tell you that's far too often, and if I put fewer hours on my boat each season I might change my schedule.
        -spark plugs, wires, rotor, distributor cap
        Inspect annually. You'll remove your plugs to squirt in storage oil every year, which makes inspection easy. If you have traditional plugs, clean and regap annually. My boat has five years and almost 400 hours on it and my original plugs are still literally like new. Other engines haven't been nearly as easy on plugs, though, and I replaced those annually.
        - flame arrestor? (does that act as an air filter as well?)
        I blow this out from the inside-out with compressed air. Yes, it acts like a very coarse filter but keep it clean and it really doesn't "age".
        - transmission and V-drive fluids
        Timing and choice of fluid is totally dependent upon manufacturer. I change my transmission fluid every time I change my engine oil, because of the heavy workload the tranny experiences while heavily ballasted for surfing. The manufacturer recommends 100 hour intervals, but I change my oil every 50 and so my transmission gets fresh fluid 2x as often as recommended. My v-drive supposedly never needs its oil changed, but I just changed it for good measure.
        - fuel filter
        Every fall during winterization. My boat has two - the inline filter and the high pressure fuel pump filter. Both get replaced every season.
        should I worry about belts?
        Since you don't know its history, I'd replace the belt and keep the existing one as a spare if it's in good condition. Belts are cheap insurance.
        do these boats have a fuel/water separator that I should be cleaning or replacing?
        Don't know, but if so I'd replace it annually at winterization.
        I was also going to change the oil. While we were on that subject, how often do you guys do an oil change and what oil would you recommend? I was thinking every 50 hours and at the end of the season for sure. Does that sound about right?
        Bingo, that's perfect. And change the transmission fluid at the same time, as noted above. I like to use a fluid extractor connected to the hose coming off the oil pan (Google "Mityvac 7400" for the one I use), it allows you to do maintenance with the boat sitting in the water and you comfortably sitting in the passenger compartment. Works for the tranny too. Inboards should include one at purchase, along with a digital multimeter. I promise, you'll own both eventually!

Comment

Originally posted by killerbren View Post
          Also, I've heard a lot about sea foam. Does anybody put it into a tank of gas to clean out the engine? if so, how much do you put in?
          I use about half an ounce for every gallon of fuel that goes into the tank. And that's every single gallon, every time. I refill at my lake using five gallon gas cans so I just put the SeaFoam into the empties before I head to the gas station. Saves trying to estimate how much to put into the boat's tank later... I know the fuel has already been treated.

You can buy SeaFoam in gallon containers at places like NAPA. Another form of cheap insurance that means maintenance is done on YOUR schedule, not when bad luck decides (which is usually at the start of a big family weekend).

Comment

And only use NON-ETHANOL gasoline. Around here, several stations carry premium that is non-ethanol. I wish it were their regular grade, but I still buy the non-ethanol. Ethanol does not go well with engines that live in a marine environment.

Non-ethanol fuel + SeaFoam and your engine will last a very long time.

Comment

Here is a great thread that helped me my first time. I change fluids every 50 hours too. V-drive included. It's cheap considering these can cost $3500 new.
              http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20833

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

WABOATING-On Point as always good write-up.

Congrats on the new purchase, I have the big brother to your boat with the same power plant. Here is my current maintenance schedule that I stick to but pretty much the same thing WA said:

Impeller-Annually at the start of each season don't change at the end as that new impeller will just sit over the winter and its just not good for it.
                Fluids-Trans/V-Drive/Engine Trans is 2 quarts ATF Dex/Merc III/V-Drive 1 quart 30W Non-Detergent/Engine is 5+Depending on filter.
                Fuel Filter I may do overkill but I change at the end of the season, I will run 1 full tank with seafoam at the start of the season and change it again as the fuel that's in there is usually 6-8 months old.
                SeaFoam is good I will run some in the oil this year to see how it does but I do run some at the start of the season and about every 2-3 tanks of fuel.
                Belts I do annually and keep the spare from the previous year on the boat and rotate it out every change.
                I also lube the steering cable, and rudder box every start of the season (don't forget about your trailer bearings/axles as well)
                Check the Shaft Seal for proper tension and leaks
                EVERY 2 years I get the prop shaft re-aligned
                Batteries I have an onboard charger and leave them plugged in year round
                Spark Plugs on this motor are really good, and I have about 250hrs on the same set and they still look brand new. My old boat had a Merc 350 MPI and I changed them every year. Just check them annually for wear along with the plug wires and distributor cap.
                Also for winterizing there are some things to do but there are a ton of threads on how to do it. Only thing I do differently is I have some 20 inch florescent lights that put out good heat I put them in my bilge during winter on a Christmas light timer to come on for 30 min every couple of hours and keeps some heat in the motor to keep any water I missed from freezing but I still run a RV/Marine AntiFreeze in the motor in the motor to be safe.

Good Luck let us know if you run into snags.
                Last edited by Thegerman618; 07-29-2015, 05:23 PM.
                My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

Working...
                X