Serpentine belt issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serpentine belt issues

I have been through two serpentine belts in the past 100 hrs. I have been using a belt that we sized up from auto parts store. It is a Gates brand. Am I making them too tight or do I need a different belt? 350 Tow Sports motor for my '02 21V. Thanks.

Check your pulley alignment to make sure they are co-planar, there are some other threads here that speak about it. The first time out with our boat I shredded the belt; when I checked the pulleys, I found that the alternator looked new. The spacers were in place, and in my case, didn't need to be, the new alternator was sticking out too far. After getting everything within 1/16" of co-planar, my belt looks great with no premature wear after several weekends out.

Comment

These links might help?
      http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...&highlight=tsb
      http://www.mercruiserparts.com/bulle...2003/EN_04.PDF
      Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

How did they fail, shred completely or on the pulley/engine side shred only? It's possibly alignment of the pulleys but could also be a bearing failure in one of the ancillaries. Before installing the next belt, spin all the pulleys and check that the crank pulley is securely bolted to the balancer.
        Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Thanks for all the input....it has been failing at the edge away from engine. First shredded. This one was about to shred.

Comment

Is the belt squealing (slipping) then eating itself? I had trouble with mine slipping, it would squeal, I would turn off the engine push on the belt to add more tension and restart it. It would then be fine for hours. I finally figured out the raw water pump was the issue. Put in a new impeller and belt and haven't had anymore trouble. This spring my neighbors deck boat was doing the same thing, his impeller had come apart.

Comment

Yeah.. I would put money on it that it is the alternator being misaligned.. there is a spacer that needs to be added in there... I just bought a new alternator with the spacer on there.. do a little research and you will find your answer on here for sure! Let us know if you solve it too!

Comment

Working...
              X