Remove water from soaked cushion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remove water from soaked cushion

My engine hatch cover is apparently soaked. The struts can no longer keep the lid open. Has anyone had to remove water from this?

Take it off an put it in the sun

Comment

For seat cushions with this problem, I've found setting them up on edge speeds the draining of water. When they're flat, the water seems to spread out through the whole foam cushion. When on edge (or even corner), gravity squeezes it out the lowest point because of the pressure of the water that hasn't yet drained.

BTW, I believe the foam pieces in the seats are entirely wrapped in plastic to try to avoid precisely this problem. You can get water between the upholstery and the plastic bag, but supposedly not into the foam itself. I have noticed that none of my actual seat cushions take on water... except for the two removable/flippable "walk-on" cushions, which are built differently anyway and may not have that plastic wrap inside. I wonder if your top cushion has had its plastic bag pierced, thus allowing water to reach the actual foam...?

Comment

Originally posted by WABoating View Post
        BTW, I believe the foam pieces in the seats are entirely wrapped in plastic to try to avoid precisely this problem. You can get water between the upholstery and the plastic bag, but supposedly not into the foam itself. I have noticed that none of my actual seat cushions take on water... except for the two removable/flippable "walk-on" cushions, which are built differently anyway and may not have that plastic wrap inside. I wonder if your top cushion has had its plastic bag pierced, thus allowing water to reach the actual foam...?
        My '13 does not have the cushions wrapped in plastic.....either that or all of them have sprung a leak....they get soaked on the insides....
        2013 Z3 - Electric blue and black

Comment

Originally posted by mnpracing View Post
          My '13 does not have the cushions wrapped in plastic.....either that or all of them have sprung a leak....they get soaked on the insides....
          had it up on edge for over a week. no water came out at all. back to the drawing board. working with Ameritool to determine my next steps.

Comment

When it's up on edge can you squeeze it and make any water come out? Maybe try to use an awl or leather punch through a seam and see if you can pop a drain hole in the plastic bag in the corner, if there is a plastic bag.

Are you sure that it's still waterlogged and not just weak struts? Did you try replacing the gas strut with new ones?
            2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
            2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Originally posted by Ewok View Post
              When it's up on edge can you squeeze it and make any water come out? Maybe try to use an awl or leather punch through a seam and see if you can pop a drain hole in the plastic bag in the corner, if there is a plastic bag.

Are you sure that it's still waterlogged and not just weak struts? Did you try replacing the gas strut with new ones?
              yes. I replaced the struts with new ones of the same model.

Comment

I have had luck putting cushion in large garbage bag (lawn & leaf work well) & closing bag up around hose on shop vac. Use vac to suck the air out of the bag & it will squeeze the cushion for you, also getting the water out. Space bags work on the same concept.

Comment

Originally posted by dilpickle View Post
                  I have had luck putting cushion in large garbage bag (lawn & leaf work well) & closing bag up around hose on shop vac. Use vac to suck the air out of the bag & it will squeeze the cushion for you, also getting the water out. Space bags work on the same concept.
                  That's a great idea. Especially close to winter time storage to get them to dry out quicker.
                  2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
                  2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Working...
                  X