Winterizing Marine Power 6.0 with closed cooling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winterizing Marine Power 6.0 with closed cooling

I've winterized my boats for many years but this is the first year that I've owned a closed cooling system boat and I just don't want to risk anything. I've traced the raw water route through the system, drained all that I could from the low point which appears to be the transmission cooler and really can't see anything else to do. Is there anyplace else that water could have collected that needs to be addressed?

I was also looking for a place to insert some heater hoses to add a heater to this boat. How was that done by the factory on the closed cooling system? Can it be added at this blanked-off loop at the water pump?

FullSizeRender.jpg

Thanks

I have a similar motor, just PCM's version.

For winterizing, I am not going to be your best resource (don't get deep freezes here) but my understanding is: drain plugs on exhaust manifolds, transmission cooler, v-drive, remove impellar, and raw water portion of the heat exchanger.

I am adding a heater this off season (Heater Craft one). With closed loop cooling, you use the antifreeze side and not the raw water side. When talking with Heatercraft, they recommended that I get the kit with the circulation pump for ease of install and guarantee of heat even at idle.

PCM has a diagram on where to tap into the antifreeze. I wanted to confirm exactly what the diagram means but I haven't yet. So I will be interested to know what the answer is. The manual seems to indicate you can T into anywhere on the hose heading to the exhchanger and t back into the hose anywhere on the return from the exchanger.

Here the manual for my 6L motor. If you look at the printed page 64 it shows the cooling diagram for the 6L Motor (PCM).
    http://www.planetnautique.com/Correc...%20Manual2.pdf

Hope that helps some. I am very interested to see what others say about the heater hookup on these motors. I don't remember running across a walk thru on a closed cooled motor from my searching.
    Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

I just checked the linked diagram and it said DO NOT tap into that loop for a heater. It does make things much clearer for tracing the flow through everything. Great link. Thx.

Comment

I have a 2004 6.0 closed cooling with a heater and that is precisely where the heater lines run.
        Attached Files

Comment

Do you know if that was the factory installation point or was it possibly done by someone else?

All that probably doesn't matter IF... it works well?

Comment

I put mine according the manual linked above. Basically the line going to the heat exchanger and the line coming out of the heat exchanger I put a T into.

Hardest part was finding a fitting to T into the return line. The return line hose was bigger on my motor that the sending line. It also had a coil where I had to avoid when cutting it.

from the PCM manual that spot that it looks yours is hooked up to.

NOTE: Location is the cooling system bypass. This bypass hose MUST NOT be
            tampered with. DO NOT hook up any external accessories (i.e. heaters, hot water
            tanks) at this location.

I don't know what happens when you do but it might be worth an email or call to Marine Power or PCM and find out if its ok.
            Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Working...
            X