Replace Impeller on 2009 PCM 343

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replace Impeller on 2009 PCM 343

I am wondering how you replace the impeller on the PCM 343 engines. My old boat had a pump that stuck out of the front of the engine with three 10mm bolts. It was very simple. I looked at this one and can figure out where the impeller lives... Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Brandon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Download this manual. PDF page 49 shows where the bell housing is for the raw water pump. Take off the belt and the housing comes off with 3 bolts, pull the old one out, slide the new one in and your good to go.

http://www.pcmengines.com/assets/Upl...anual-2009.pdf
    2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
    2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Like Ewok said; remove the belt and use a 10mm socket to remove the three impellor housing bolts via access holes in the pump bell housing. 5min job; had to pull mine while on the water this past weekend due to engine overheat. 20hrs on the new impellor and it seemed to have self destructed already.
      2010 Tige RZ2 "Fully Loaded" 650hrs
      Surf Ballast & Enzo Bag - 1235 prop

Comment

Hint: Spitting on the new impeller can "lube" it up a bit, making insertion easier. And make sure you bend the impeller vanes the correct way so they don't have to "flip" around the first time the engine starts, which can tear them off. On a v-drive, the top of the impeller rotates toward the driver's seat.

Five minute job. No reason to pay anyone to do it for you.

Comment

As the others said. The Belt tensioner is on the opposite side. With a wrench turn and push down towards the other side of the engine to remove the belt. After that remove the housing for the impeller. I live on these how the whole piece including the impeller comes out. On my old mb with a PCM it was just a cover and had to try and pry the impeller out which was quite the pain. Also, don't forget to replace the "O" ring that comes with the impeller.
          Attached Files

Comment

Nice job with the illustration!

Comment

So to confirm clockwise or counter clock wise rotation?
              2010 Tige RZ2 "Fully Loaded" 650hrs
              Surf Ballast & Enzo Bag - 1235 prop

Comment

That depends upon your orientation relative to the engine, which is why I always describe it as "the top of the impeller rotates toward the driver's seat". Simply stating the rotational direction is ambiguous.

But: If you are in the back of the boat, facing forward toward the front of the engine and the bow of the hull, as you look at the impeller's axis of rotation it will rotate clockwise - its top will go toward your right hand, the side where the driver's seat is located.

And: If you are in the passenger compartment, facing aft toward the rear of the engine and the transom of the hull, as you look at the impeller's axis of rotation it will rotate counterclockwise - its top will go toward your left hand, the side where the driver's seat is located.

Comment

It may be obvious to others but I made a mistake my first time. The o ring on the pump, make sure you put the o-ring into the pully side. I put it over the "lip" and then put the pully on and it sucked air and fried my impeller when I tested it with a fake a lake. Then I placed it in the groove on the pully side housing and then lip crushes it inside that groove and will create a tight seal.

On a related note, the PCM impellers I have bought, some of them come in a PCM branded blister pack and others in a cardboard box with nothing other than a part number. Does anyone know if the brown cardboard box ones are genuine parts or knockoffs? Both versions have worked fine for me but if its the same price, I would prefer the genuine one.

I also added the sepentine diagram to my tool box..... I lost the serpentine belt one time but luckily had internet to look it up.
                  Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

PCM's oil filters have come in both nice white boxes and "plain brown" boxes, so I don't know about their impellers. All of the impellers I've received have been in the blister pack.

Comment

Thanks Guys! This is great info! Looks pretty straight forward.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Comment

Working...
                      X