Boatmate Tire (Blown Radials)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boatmate Tire (Blown Radials)

Does anyone have any issues with blown radial tires on your boat trailers? I have an Aug 2011 Boatmate trailer for my 2012 RZR. I used the trailer for 2 seasons (less than 3,000) and just now notice 2 if not possibly 3 bad radial tires with bulging tread. One tire is RF and another is LR. I plan to take all 4 off and give a complete inspection. Unfortunately, Boatmate says the tires are only covered for 1 year form date of sale. Looks like I am on my own.

I am always checking tire pressure and careful avoiding tight turns with a loaded trailer.

Has anyone had any issues with tires? Looks like I need to replace all 4 tires with something. Most trailer tire companies will NOT cover tires under road hazzard to avoid this happening again. I hope this is not a comman issue. Funny, I do not remember seeing any threads on this forum with tire issues. Boatmate claims no recall on these tires. I have Trail America ST205/75R14. I did NOT see this expense coming!
    Any suggestions?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NHarp1; 12-10-2013, 07:58 PM.
    Nick
    Dayton, Ohio

That tire looks warn on the outside. Thats typically not a defective tire, but an alignment issue. if so, it will continue to wear on the next set.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

You might want to check your tongue weight or the height of your hitch and make sure everything is level when towing. Looks like you might have too much load on the tongue and forcing weight onto those front tires.

Comment

I had that problem on my last boat and found out that my weight was at the limit of the tire load. I doubt that's your issue given an RZR on a dual axel but if your tires are under inflated, you load your boat up with a lot of stuff (500-1,000 lbs of extra) and then go around tight corners on a highway, all of those are factors that will make your tires roll over on their outsides while cornering and also produce the wear like you are seeing. I put D class tires on my trailer and the issue went away.

Comment

Update...maybe I had the tires under inflated at 40 PSI when the tires call for cold PSI at 50?
          After removing all 4 tires, LF tire outer tire signs of wear, LR inner signs of wear, image.jpgRF radial damage on outer area because tire bulges out of tread, RR no signs of any wear. All tires had 40 PSI.

Is it common for front tires to wear on the outer area due to strain on axel when making tight turns?
          Last edited by NHarp1; 12-11-2013, 02:54 AM.
          Nick
          Dayton, Ohio

Comment

When the temps drop, air contracts and tire pressure drops. Given that the current tire pressure is 40 psi and you are in the middle of winter, id say that back when the air temps were warmer, you were not running them excessively low.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I think I will get class D to play it safe and eventually replace them all. This is a RZR boat, not a Z3 when it comes to weight. I imagine Z3 boatmate trailers use the same tire?

http://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Wh...a/AM10235.html
              Nick
              Dayton, Ohio

Comment

I agree with ChpThril - that looks like an alignment issue. (If it were pressure I'd expect the wear to be even across the tread width.) Thing is, I don't know how (or if) they align trailer wheels. But I would check into that before putting an expensive full set of brand new tires on there.

Comment

Originally posted by WABoating View Post
                  I agree with ChpThril - that looks like an alignment issue. (If it were pressure I'd expect the wear to be even across the tread width.) Thing is, I don't know how (or if) they align trailer wheels. But I would check into that before putting an expensive full set of brand new tires on there.
                  Just the rear wheels of a solid axle car or truck, the camber and toe need to be with in reason. On some trailers, you can use shims behind the spindle. These are much like the shims used to adjust the camber and toe on the rear wheels of a FWD car.

Comment

I would take the trailer to a tire shop or trailer shop and have them verify the alignment of the axles, seems like they are off a little. I had a radial seperation on my trailer after 4 months from the date of purchase. It would have been covered under the Carlisle warranty but it would have taken too long to file the claim and I needed to get on the road ASAP so I put the spare on and bought a goodyear tire into my spare position.

I also noticed that my tires were manufatured in 2007, my boat was a 2009 which I purchased in 2010 as a leftover. I replaced the tires last spring with a set of Kumho Radial 857, class D radial tires. I also make sure my pressure is always at the max cold psi, that way you know you are properly inflated to handle the weight rating on the tire. My old carlisle tires max psi was 50 psi (class C) and 65 psi max for the new Kumhos. I had to order the Kumhos from Tirerack.com since they were not sold locally by any of the tire shops but I had my local guys install them. I also had the tire shop install Orange Electronics TPMS when they swapped out the rubber. They work great and tell me exactly what each tire pressure is from a little remote in the front of the truck.
                    2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
                    2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Working...
                    X