Keel guard and gelcoat damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keel guard and gelcoat damage

Well, I have always been safe when beaching my boat, however I noticed the other day that my keel has lost its gelcoat, showing the fiberglass. I have purchased a keel guard to install, but I wanted to know if I should repair the gelcoat before applying the keel guard?? And if so, how and what do I use to repair the gelcoat? No leaking or substantial damage, the wear is right on the keel (spine) and is about 3 ft long.
    Thanks for your help!! The kids always want to go to the beach and play when out on the river, so I have to be able to beach my boat partially at least.

You should fix the fiberglass first, there are a few how to threads on here about fixing scratches in gelcoat but your issue sounds a little bigger than what I have seen, unless you're comfortable with body repair and fiberglass repair I would take it to a fiberglass professional. Sometimes they can do it in your driveway but I suspect it may have to be taken to a shop. At least it can't hurt to call a few shops and see what they charge. You might have to do down to Boise or up to Spokane to find a repair shop.
    2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
    2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Like Ewok said it needs to be repaired. Gelcoat is water tight, fiberglass is not. If there is any cloth exposed or voids or pockets at all the fiberglass can absorb water. Needs attention for sure!

Comment

Thanks guys, I'm on it. will likely look for a DIY option first, since I have no fiberglass shops here locally. Also, since the damage is literally under the boat and impossible to see, it won't matter what it looks like, just needs to be covered up and repaired.
        I haven't been taking on water or anything, the white gelcoat has rubbed off to reveal the fiberglass, redish/black in color. Hopefully there is a patch kit or something that I can apply.
        I'll keep you updated, thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X