fixed floor level cup holders popping up when surfing with custom sack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fixed floor level cup holders popping up when surfing with custom sack

We run 1000 lb custom sacks in our RZ2. One irritating issue is the bag creeps under the stock cup holders -- when the boat comes off plane, the water in the sack surges forward or forces the cup holders up. This little cup holder pop has occurred most every time the boat throttles back when surfing. Well, I finally fixed the darn thing.

4" sewer pipe (scrap section, $3 at Ace Hardware) cut to 4.25" length. Sewer pipe works well because it will slightly deform without cracking or breaking. I cut the bottom at a very slight cant so the pipe would stand off the bottom rear wall a bit to allow a cabin speaker wire to pass behind without always being. Several holes drilled to vent the carpet underneath. Pipe sections are snug but not otherwise mounted. Double sided tape ($4 at Ace Hardware) used to re-secure cup holder. I suggest using two thin strips of tape, otherwise the adhesive will not completely clear the under side lip of the stainless steel cup holder.

Pipe set under cup holder position, looking from cabin down into holes.

View of pipe from within port bench compartment.

Thanks Timmy! for a suggestion a few years ago about using a plastic cup underneath and replacing every season. This is just a more permanent version of that fix.

I don't think that was me but this is a nice fix that I am going to have to try since I have the same issue.

Comment

Nice work! This is soo annoying! i built a box around mine out of treated 2x4 and screwed it to the floor.

Comment

one of the best parts about this tweak/mod is how perfect the 4" sewer pipe fits the role. The 4" diameter is just bareley larger than the cut-out in the fiberglass. It is super cheap and most any hardware store will have scraps laying around. And it is flexible with the pipe I used rated at 3000 lb crush strength.

Of course, that flexiness makes it a pain to cut with a handsaw. I admit, the "cant" feature on the bottom was a mistake on the first tube resulting from flexing of the pipe when hand sawing through it. I tried a test fit and noticed that when the angle portion was on the bottom, the pipe stayed off the speaker wire. So the rest of the pipe sections were then made with this "feature".
        Last edited by Duncan; 07-15-2013, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X