Hurth V drive loosing transmission fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hurth V drive loosing transmission fluid

I have never had to add any transmission fluid except when doing the end of season servicing, until last week. The gearbox oil is fine, but the transmission took 1 qt to get back to full. I took it out and ran it for 5 hours and it required another full quart. There is residual oil in the bilge. I found a very loose bolt at the transmission housing near where the shifter connects and I tightened it up. It's really not evident where the oil is going, but there seems to be a mist of oil on the outside of the transmission. We will see if this fixes the problem. It is a 2008 22Ve with a ZF Hurth 45-IV and we have about 185 hours on the boat. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Trans fluid is either going into the raw water through a busted cooler and then exiting into the lake through the exhaust with the rest of the raw water, or, its leaking externally. I would start by cleaning the trans case and bilge so its clean and dry, then look for a trace of the leak.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks Chp. I know there is a cooler at the forward end of the gearbox with fresh water going through it - it that cooling gear oil or transmission oil or both? Back at the transmission, there are two hydraulic lines going aft to ??? I have cleaned the transmission and the bilge, and hope the fluid level remains constant at the next outing.

Comment

The v-drive does not have an external cooler, its internal. the trans does have an external cooler and thats whats at the end of those 2 lines. The cooler is in line of the raw water line between the v-drive and impeller housing intake.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

After tightening the loose bolt, the transmission leak is fixed.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Working...
          X