gel coat cleaner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gel coat cleaner?

just got back from a private lake that was a little green.
    boat was in the water for 2 days and when I took it out it had a brownish water line on my white gelcoat. tried washing, vinegar, and even soft scrub to no avail. any suggestions on how to get my gelcoat cleaned?

Starbrite Hull cleaner, its a weak Muric acid based cleaner.
    2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
    2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Try some Performance Boat Candy, the speed gloss is just a spray on wipe off but with some elbow greese it might work if not they have some other products such as their Crystal Cut products....depending on how bad it is you may need to use the Crystal Cut Extreme Compound. I bet if you called them they would tell you directly which product would work best. I talk with Tim the owner a couple times and he has been a great help. call them at (866) 385-7750 as for tim and tell him Craig from Lake of the Ozarks told you to call.

Comment

I second that on the starbrite, its like magic!!

Comment

I third the starbright. It is by far the easiest thing I have found. Spray it on let it sit a couple of minutes rinse off and BAM the white is white again :-)

Comment

He doesn't need compound, he just has some funk from sitting in the water for a few days, starbrite will clen off the bio funk as well as the oil based dirt from the water.

Btw, you can get starbrite at Walmart.
            2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
            2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

X whatever on the Starbright, you may want to follow up with some spray wax after.

Comment

If it's just some funk then use the speed gloss from performance boat candy it will get that off and make it shine....the stuff works good....I won't use any other product

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by gwhite94 View Post
                    X whatever on the Starbright, you may want to follow up with some spray wax after.
                    After Starbright, I would re-wax. It will strip everything off.

Originally posted by trudelle View Post
                    If it's just some funk then use the speed gloss from performance boat candy it will get that off and make it shine....the stuff works good....I won't use any other product
                    I also love that Perf Boat Candy speed gloss. Works great on water spots and modest grunge. Though I miss the smell of Babes.

Comment

If all else fails, I have used this with excellent results. If you decide to use, make sure you wear eye protection and DO NOT INHALE. Took lake scum off just like the add for scubbing bubbles.

IMAG0145.jpg

Comment

Duncan is right all of these products will strip the wax off the surface.

Most biological growth like algae will need an acid based product to kill it and knock it out. Starbrite is a popular choice and I am sure there are many others.
                        Be sure to read and follow the safety guidelines as most of these products can be bad for eyes and lungs.

Would love to see before and after pics
                        What Rocks Your Boat?

Comment

sorry didn't take pre and post pics.
                          ended up getting some Attwood hull cleaner from Walmart.
                          took the grime right off. easy application with sponge and rinse off.
                          now I gotta wax it
                          thanks for all the input

Comment

Working...
                          X