X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New batteries and proper hook up

So i just bought a new set of Optima blue D34M batteries in their TROLL KIT
    http://www.1stoptimabatterystore.com...0&idcategory=4

I liked the set up and thought it would fit nicely in what little space i have on my boat.

now the flood of questions...

im going to be putting on a new set of rev 10 tower speakers as well as a few more speakers in the boat and upgrade the sub.

first question: would it be smart to keep this new battery set up as mainly for the stereo system having the batteries hooked up in parallel with the kit that is provided and then have a 3rd battery that i have (different deep cycle type) set up as the cranking battery?

second question: if i do that set up how do i get them all set up to still be charged off the alternator or should i install a seperate battery charger for the new set of optima batteries?

Or would the new optima set i have be enough to power the system and still be able to reliably start the boat every time?

My old set up was 2 deep cycle batteries with a solinoid switch that was never hooked up correctly since ive purchased the boat...Should i still go the solinoid route and get that properly hooked up and work everything that way?

i guess mainly im needing helpi figuring out the best battery set up with what i currently have.
    The new optima dual D34M batteries and one older deep cycle battery that was already in the boat.

What else should i buy and how should i have everything hooked up?

I usually sit around in the cove for a few hours at a time listening to music and then make wakeboarding trips inbetween the sitting and listening to music...i want to be able to have relaiable music time as well as reliable cranking....can someone point me in the right direction in setting these 3 batteries up for the best performance?

If its not too late, I would consider trading the 2 blue-tops trolling kit for a single Interstate SRM-29. The two Blue tops have a combined Ah of 110 at a cost of $440 and have a footprint of 8.5" x 23.25 and weigh 87lbs. The SRM-29 has an Ah of 105, costs $121.00 and measures 6.75 x 13 and only weighs 61 lbs.

The SRM-29 is a lot more bang for the buck. Ive also experienced Optimas being left undercharged by a typical alternator. If you are going to rely on a shore charger, this would not be a problem. But, you need to see if your current 2-bank charger can charge 2 different battery types on each bank.

I would recommend getting a marine cranking for the primary cranking battery. Deep-cycles will work fine as an occasional cranking battery, but they're really not suited for high, rapid current draws of a starter on a regular basis.

Regardless of your setup, do not wire any batteries in series.

To have both banks receive a charge from the alternator, you need a combiner of some kind. It can be a manual multi-battery switch or an automatic such as an ACR/VSR. In most case, these two methods are combined.

To properly condition two battery banks that are used differently, you need a 2-bank battery charger or 2 small chargers, one for each bank. At the least, a charger for the house bank.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

chpthril,

thanks for your advice, i have noticed reading threads that when it comes to this type of stuff you know your S&(!....im in the process of trying to cancel my order of the d34m batteries.
      If i am lucky enough to do so i would love your opinion on the right stuff to buy to make everything run smoothly.

I forget off hand what type of batteries i currently have. Ill find out tomorrow and post the info. I know 1 of the 2 batteries i have are shot but one is still good. I am wanting to keep that battery for my cranking battery and once it goes then ill buy a more applicable battery for cranking power.

As for my stereo system batteries....thats what i was buying the pair of d34ms for....what would you suggest i get to run my stereo? also im all ears as what to buy to be able to keep the batteries charged...i know i cant have them all charge off the alternator or i doubt that it would work effectively anyway...should i buy some time of in-boat battery charger that runs off the motor or some time of switch that can go from charging the cranking battery then switch to the system battereis once full?

Im a novice when it comes to this department so bare with me please. but any detailed advice you can give will be greatly appreciated...my boat is still a good month away from being lake ready due to all sorts of other stuff im doing to it so taking the time to get this portion right is key to me seeing as i spend a great deal of my time on the lake sitting in coves partying with the music blaring. and whenever im not doin that im pulling a boarder so again...consistent system power as well as cranking dependability are key. again thanks for your advice. its worth its weight in gold!!!

Comment

Zac,

I hope i didnt throw a huge monkey wrench in your plans, it was my intention. I just felt that for the money you were spending, there are better options in terms of amp hours.

Either way, we can design you a cranking and house battery setup that will work great and function to fit your needs. Keep me posted.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

HAHA well you kinda did! but it was a welcomed monkey wrench....my mistake was not posting first before jumping off the deep end head first thinking I knew what was best haha.

THANKFULLY i was able to talk to the battery place and cancel my order early this morning before shipment and my money has been refunded!!!

Ok so lets start to build my CORRECT battery system haha. I was already almost $500 in the whole with just the purchase of those optima batteries so whatever we can construct for the same price or a little more is fine with me. I jus want to make sure overall that i can run a system for a couple hours on end as well as have a reliable starting boat.

Im gonna be heading out to my buddies house (where i store my boat) here in a bit and ill find out what batteries i currently have and let you know what im working with already.

But put your thinking cap on CHPTHRIL!!....my battery system is your molding clay so mold away!!!

just keep in mind i have a 98 pre 2002 wt....space is limited and the space that i do have for the batteries requires me to dive head first through the pop up seat on the passenger side and then crawl in until just my feet are left popping out...im almost 6ft haha. its a tight area but it isnt utilized for anything and if i can spend ONE great deal of time in there setting up my batteries i shouldnt have to crawl in there very often haha.
          So fire away! what do you have for me

Comment

Zac,

Since you felt you had room for a pair of batteries, lets keep on that path of using a 2 battery house bank. Which batteries will depend on how much space you have to either place them side by side or end to end. The most bang for your buck is going to be a good ol wet-cell marine deep-cycle. To step up from there would be to an AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) power cell. More on those later if you want.

The ideal 3 battery 2-bank system will consist of:
            Starting battery - A group-24 marine cranking is all thats needed.

2 marine deep-cycles - group size will depend on what you can fit. Go with the biggest you can fit and afford. Once you know what will fit, we can tweak the plan if its determined that a single house battery will be the better route then two.

Multi-battery combiner switch - This gives you the flexibility to switch from one bank to the other as needed.

ACR Auto Combiner Relay - This basically makes the combining and isolating of the battery banks automatic. This means that 90% of the time, the switch can be left in the "1" position while out on the water.

On/Off Switch - This is a nice feature to have with a multi-battery house bank and a small alternator. If the house bank is heavily depleted, its a hard shock to the alt to see 1 huge dead battery when the engine is started. This switch would go in between the 2 hose batteries so they can be split up. Now, upon re-firing the engine, the alt only sees one depleted house battery. This allows the alternator to replenish the one battery a little before the 2nd is brought back in line.

Shore charger - A 2-bank charger is ideal. This will allow for the maintenance of the cranking battery and replenishment and maintenance of the house bank. For the typical stereo, the alternator will do fine to keep up with the current draw of the system while the engine is running, but alternators make for poor battery chargers.

Let me crunch some numbers and compare the footprints of that 2-battery trolling kit and other batteries.

Comment

OK sounds good, let me know what you come up with.

In the little space that i have. its actually a decent size but its useless to use as storage as it is so far up under the seat but that makes it ideal for batteries and amps. I will have more than enough room to put 2 system or "house" batteries and 1 cranking battery, as well as the switches and other stuff you mentioned.

I am planning on crawling in there WITH my tools and some wood to create another wall within a wall so that i can hang another amp up in there.

I still havnt had a chance to see what type of battery i have in there right now but for now i will use that one as my cranking battery and will replace it later in the season if need be.

For now i just want to focus on the best 2 battery setup for my system as well as all the switches and charger that i will need.

let me know what you come up with and ill start a buying list to get all this cranked out.

thanks for the help

Comment

Here are some dimensions on battery footprints:

2 D34M side by side will be 12" x 16" and end to end will be 24" x 8

2 SRM29 side by side will be 15" x 16" and end by end will be 30" x 8".

2 SRM24 side by side will be 12" x 16" and end to end will be 24" x 8".

Those dimensions are a little conservative so the batteries would not be jammed together. If you can fit the group-29's in either configuration, thats the best route to go.

Whats the apx distance from the cranking to where the house bank will be? Just need to get an idea of cable length.

Comment

The 2 SRM29's should fit without a problem but i will double check just to make sure.

The cranking battery will be place right next to the house batteries so cable length could be 2ft or a little less and will be able to work just fine. its raining today but if it isnt raining tomorrow ill try to get out to my boat, measure up the demensions of the area im working with as well as try and take some viewable pictures of the area/space so you can get a better visual of what im working with.

Of hand without measuring id say i have a good 2 1/2 x 3 foot space to work with.

but im going to plan on going with the 2 SRM29 batteries and look in to seeing where i can find the best price on a pair.

whats next? lol

Comment

quick question, after looking them up on the interstate battery web page it says that they have the regular auto posts....does this mean that everything will have to be made to fit on the posts? right now most of my wires are set up to be put on the wing nut posts...any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by Zac93218 View Post
                      quick question, after looking them up on the interstate battery web page it says that they have the regular auto posts....does this mean that everything will have to be made to fit on the posts? right now most of my wires are set up to be put on the wing nut posts...any ideas?
                      They are dual posts....threaded stud as well as a regular clamp style post.

Comment

ok perfect. Ill work on buying a pair of those batteries...

on to the next part of the system lol

Comment

its still raining like crazy here as it has been all week. as soon as it stops ill make it over to the boat to get some measurements

Comment

If you haven't bought your battery, check out the new Interstate pro 29's. They are identical to srm's in terms of capacity, but they work more like an AGM battery without the cost. Essentially, I'm told they charge and discharge very effeciently. I'm also told that if you have the luxury of throwing a trickle charger on a deep cell after every time you use it, don't worry about buying the pro's.

I just picked up my new pro 29 today. It cost about 175.00.
                            2007 RZ2 Marine power 340hp Custom ballast
                            Tundra Crewmax 5.7L

Comment

Working...
                            X