Diagnostic BS? Service Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diagnostic BS? Service Question...

I was going to do my own service on my dad's boat this season since it is costing an arm and a leg at the shops and I don't think they do much of anything that I couldn't do myself. It is a 2006 20i by the way. I am a novice mechanic at best but I can figure things out if need be. Earlier this year, I was having a world of trouble with a limp mode issue/ potentiometer and ended up figuring out the problem and fixing it (the potentiometer can be adjusted a little by the way...) I also just did my steering cable which was a piece of cake..

i guess i will get to the point now...

For the basic service, I was going to do change engine oil and filter, gear oil, and impeller...

Would this be a sufficient service?

Apparently my dad just came back from the boat show in LA and a tech was telling him they run all kinds of computer diagnostics and now my dad is aprehensive to let me do the service. Is there any truth to this? I figured the only way a diagnostics scan would pick anything up is if the boat was throwing a code of some kind, and if it is throwing a code, wouldn't it be going into limp mode or something along those lines.

The reason I think this guy was feeding my dad BS is because the last time we had the boat serviced, they knocked a wire off of my fuel pump and the boat would not run when we got it back. Now if they were to run a diagnostic scan, i think something like that would of been picked up...

Just do a search. There are plenty of threads on this. Search for winterizing since that is when most here service there boats.

Comment

I have searched for hours and haven't really found an answer to that question...

Comment

The only reason they would run diagnostics is if you were having a problem. Not for normal service.

Comment

That is what I thought too... The tech was telling my dad that they hook it up to a computer and make sure the engine is balanced and what not... haha I don't really think they do that for some reason...

Comment

Lots of us do our own service. My boat has never been back to the dealer for service.

Comment

Does anyone know when to get a scan tool? I have one for cars but it does not conect to the boat.
              Wake Up or Stay On Shore!

Comment

The scan tools for boats are specialized to that manufacturer. ie mercruiser,PCM,Marine power ect.A J is right,there is no reason to scan for codes if there are no MIL or running issues present.
                I do all my own stunt work. hey ya'll watch dis.

Comment

Originally posted by robert theisen View Post
                  The scan tools for boats are specialized to that manufacturer. ie mercruiser,PCM,Marine power ect.
                  You can buy a tool to do this, that hooks to your laptop, but as I recall the cost is around $600. I'm tempted but then I'm also an Engineer and love instrumentation. My procedure is do my own maintenance to the limits of my ability and tooling, and when that line gets crossed take it to a well-qualified shop that has manufacturer's certification for the product in question (Tige for the boat, PCM for the drivetrain).

Comment

Originally posted by WABoating View Post
                    You can buy a tool to do this, that hooks to your laptop, but as I recall the cost is around $600. I'm tempted but then I'm also an Engineer and love instrumentation. My procedure is do my own maintenance to the limits of my ability and tooling, and when that line gets crossed take it to a well-qualified shop that has manufacturer's certification for the product in question (Tige for the boat, PCM for the drivetrain).
                    Thanks for the answer and suggestion. That is what I do however I had a lot of issues last year each time I was out. It would have been good to have the scan tool to check and see why it was going into limp mode. It turned out to be bad gas and loose fuse connections. Very hard to troubleshoot.
                    Wake Up or Stay On Shore!

Comment

Working...
                    X