Synthetic Oils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synthetic Oils

I have been "lurking" around the forums getting ready to change the oils in my 2006 24ve. There seems to be many opinions on this and they are scattered all over lol... It is a 340hp 5.7 marine power and I was wondering what synthetic oils are being used for the engine, trans, and velvet drive. Thanks in advance!
    4-7-09 And still employeed for yet another week (subject to change at any moment)have we hit bottom yet?

I can't recall when but Tige started putting straight 30 wt in the tranny and v drive. I use Valvoline synPower 10w 30 full synthetic for the motor. So far no issues.

Be ready for a bunch of different options, both in weights and conventional, blends, and synthetics, as well as brands.
    Last edited by skippabcool; 01-05-2012, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Oh boy, here we go again on this topic! Wheeeee!

Comment

He said he has a "340hp 5.7 marine power". I believe Marine Power is a separate engine brand from Mercury, so they may have their own recommendations.

Or, you could just go with the recommendations of knowledgable people here on this site. I'd take whatever Dom Forte says as gospel, for example.

Comment

I used 10w40 in my 07 marine power 340 hp.As for brand i won't open that can of worms.
          I do all my own stunt work. hey ya'll watch dis.

Comment

LOL! All I want to know is what oil viscosity are people running in there engines and the drives and if its synthetic.... As for brand I dont think that there is a big diff from them... As long as I stay with a name brand...
            4-7-09 And still employeed for yet another week (subject to change at any moment)have we hit bottom yet?

Comment

OK, I'll wade into these treacherous waters....

I use Shell Rotella T (the "T" is important) in my 5.7L V8 GM-based PCM engine. Rotella T is 15W-40 and has the SM/CJ-4 ratings required by PCM. These are the latest oil industry ratings so presumably they would work in your MP engine as well.

Please note that Rotella T is NOT a full synthetic. And that's exactly what I want, since full synthetics are (according to some) not a good choice for occasional use engines such as those used in boats. FWIW, PCM "permits" the use of full synthetics in their engines without violating the warranty but does not recommend their use and does not relax the oil change requirements when full synthetics are used.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by juniors View Post
                LOL! All I want to know is what oil viscosity are people running in there engines and the drives and if its synthetic.... As for brand I dont think that there is a big diff from them... As long as I stay with a name brand...
                Ok, lets break it down:

IF your 06 has the Borg-Warner transmission, it will need Dexron-III or better ATF. Synthetic is not needed IMO

IF it has the Walter V-Drive, it runs 30W non-detergent oil. Synthetic is not needed IMO

Engine - The weight needs to be what the manufacturer recommends based on the climate its operated in. You can use an automotive grade oil, but I like the added moisture inhibitors in a marine oil personally. Me, I ran the Merc 25-40 cause it was available at a local marina just up the road. We used the boat year round and it was changed twice a year. I do not and will not use synthetic engine oil. IMPO, its a waste of money for 99% of the engine applications. proper service will go 10X longer in delivering long engine life then any expensive synthetic oil.
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I only use synthetic in my high abuse 6.2L tow rig. Regular in everything else I rock.
                  71 Cut Supreme, 70 3 Door Suburban, 08 Tahoe LTZ, 12 F21 Surf Machine!
                  http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii11/onetogofast/IMG_4360.jpg

Comment

Working...
                  X