Teak Maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teak Maintenance

Is it necessary to stain the bottom of a teak platform? It seems like it currently does not have a stain on the bottom, but it could have just worn off.

Also, one of the boards of the teak is warped. Any recommendation on the best way to fix this? I figured I might be able to clamp it down, but this will probably crack or split a board.

I looked through several of the teak threads and I could not find the answer to this, thanks for the help,

Matt

I use teak oil on the bottom only when I unbolt the whole platform for refinishing. Otherwise its too much a mess. If I had a removable swim deck it may be a different story. I try to oil the top around once a month.

As far as warped boards, how bad is it?

Comment

it's not that bad... there is one spot in the very middle that protrudes up maybe about half an inch.

I have the platform off for refinishing now and I have already used stripper and TSP on the top, but I haven't started sanding or anything yet... so if it is important to do the bottom as well I figured now is a good time.

Comment

While its off I would do the bottom...you have all winter to finish .
        As far as the protrusion, I'm not a carpenter, maybe someone else could chime in.

Comment

There shouldn't be any stain on the teak, I hope. Use just teak oil to condition it and also, id be careful what you use to strip the teak with. Id recommend only using a teak cleaner, unless the teak was stained or something that dose need to be removed. Yes, I would oil the bottom with at least one coat.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I used Savograns super strip to get the finish off the top, then TSP to clean it. I plan to use Sikkens Cetol Marine for the finish. Since the bottom doesn't look like it had any finish, I won't strip or sand it, I'll just put a coat or two of finish on it.
            Thanks for the help.

Comment

I've read that the Cetol is very durable, but is very slippery once in the water.

Comment

hm... I hadn't heard that, hopefully not too slippery cause I've already ordered the Cetol.

Comment

Sand with your Mouse sander or other electric sander, 150 grit is good. Cetol works great,not slick,lasts and won't snag a $100.00 bikini. About your warped board. Leave it alone or, sand it down with 80 grit about 1/6,1/8,or 1/4". If it is so bad it needs planed, use a hand planer. practice on another board first. You could buy a small pc of teak 1x2x12" and use as a nailer on the bottom to screw the high board and other boards to. Good luck. M&M 2000 20CI.

Comment

Working...
                  X