Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just finished winterizing, did I get it all?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had my boat winterized today and they did not use antifreeze but did fog. The shop has been in business for over 20 years so I feel OK with it. I had them do the trans/v-drive as well and will do impeller and maybe fuel filter in the spring.

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
      Servicing the trans and v-drive is easy to do while winterizing, but is not necessary every year.
      Interesting... my maintenance manual says my PCM transmission should have its Dexron III fluid changed every 50 hours, just like the engine oil.

The v-drive is considered permanently lubricated, unless contamination is found.

Not arguing, just relating different data.

Comment

In the spirit of candor - I've since looked around and can't find that reference that gives the 50 hour interval for transmission fluid changes. I wanted to provide "chapter and verse" but can't. I'm still going to follow that procedure on my new transmission, but I can't back it up with documentation.

Just thought I should be completely candid. Thanks!
        Last edited by IDBoating; 10-27-2011, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Whew, I finally found it. Thought I was going crazy.

It's right on the transmission plate itself. My new transmission says to change the fluid after the first 25 hours of operation, and thereafter every 100 hours or 12 months whichever occurs first. I believe the plate on my original transmission said every 50 hours, but I may have just translated that in my head to "every time you change the engine oil" so I wouldn't get out of phase and forget to do it.

Comment

It's also in the engine users manual under the scheduled Mx section.

Shall I also stir this discussion onto the subject of synthetic vs Dino oil? From my reading on the topic of oil changes and winterization, and the engine manual, it's recommended to use regular oil. I believe shell rotella is the most common type for our engines. I got mine at autozone but I later found it cheaper at Walmart.
            2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
            2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

I have changed the oil cold in the past. Just let it drain overnight as I have found it still dripping after several hours. I have also used a magnetic block heater to warm it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewok View Post
                It's also in the engine users manual under the scheduled Mx section.
                I thought I'd seen it there too, but danged if I can find it now. Thanks for the confirmation.

Even though the new transmission says 100 hours, I'll continue to follow my 50 hour schedule. When I'm changing the engine oil I have to open up the oil filter area anyway, the transmission is right there, and I already have the fluid extractor there for the engine's oil pan hose.

Comment

Working...
                X