Blown bearings on main idler pulley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blown bearings on main idler pulley

Need advice how to replace. It's not the adjuster pulley up top that is just mounted on a bracket, it's the big smooth pulley and the shaft appears to go back into the block? I removed the (4) 1/2" bolts and took the pulley itself off. Here is a photo of the pulley hub and you can see the bits of the bearings on the shaft.

This is a Mercruiser 350 in a '99 21V.

IMG_1464.jpg
    Waiting for another good one!

That is your water circulation pump. Just like the water pump on an old chevy. Usually they leak when the bearing goes out. Should be an easy replacement.

Comment

Interesting. So the circulating pump is needed along with the raw water pump eh? I'm a bit embarassed I didn't know what that was

So I check them out via google, anything "marinized" about this part, or can I go pick one up at Napa for a Chevy 350?

Comment

If it was mine, Autozone here I come. Old chevy waterpumps are cheap. I would just go with new and not rebuilt.

Comment

Yea, Napa wants $150 for new $56 for refurb. Summit only wants $55 for new though. interesting...

Although, I did specify Mercruiser in my Napa search where the Summit search was just a simple 'ol Chevy pickup

Comment

Do not use an automotive water pump. They need the lubricant in the antifreeze to lube the bearing. Marine water pumps are sealed and permanently lubed.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Ah, so a refurb mercruiser specific from Napa isn't so bad at $56...

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Chp.

Comment

Working...
                X