Cleaning Gelcoat Queation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning Gelcoat Queation

What have you guys done to clean/remove these yellow/brownish stains? In the past on other boats i have used muratic acid however it is temporary and the stains come right back the next time you put it in the water. There has to be a way to re-seal it or something.
    Thanks,
    Kasey

FSR (fiberglass stain remover) comes in a blue jelly that is easy to apply and not get all over the place like a spray. Most all boat stores carry it. A good pressure wash should take off what might be left over which allows for new growth to cling too. Always apply a generous amount of wax to any gelcoat that has been stripped with an acid based cleaner.

Comment

we use Boat hull wash at start of season to get all the gunk off then wax w Starbrite Premium Marine Polish With PTEF which works great for bulk of season. Any gunk rinses off easy or quick wipe down.

Comment

We use the Starbrite cleaner, followed by polish jbort mentioned above. After pulling the boat from the water, very easy to wipe off any water scum with a regular wet towel, keeps her looking good!

http://www.starbrite.com/productdeta...ull%20Cleaners

Comment

Originally posted by mjsti View Post
          We use the Starbrite cleaner, followed by polish jbort mentioned above. After pulling the boat from the water, very easy to wipe off any water scum with a regular wet towel, keeps her looking good!

http://www.starbrite.com/productdeta...ull%20Cleaners
          I wipe meticulously every time my boat is pulled out. I use windex/vinegar solution that works great. This stuff does now wipe off. It's stained. Thank you I will look into the starbrite and the polish.

Comment

The PTEF Starbrite polish will keep the stains from coming back. I've proved this with several owners. Acid wash it as before, then polish with the Starbrite and re-polish in a couple of weeks. If you miss any spots they'll show up and just treat that area. You should be good for the season. Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by thtrog View Post
              The PTEF Starbrite polish will keep the stains from coming back. I've proved this with several owners. Acid wash it as before, then polish with the Starbrite and re-polish in a couple of weeks. If you miss any spots they'll show up and just treat that area. You should be good for the season. Good Luck!
              cool the muriatic acit / PTEF Starbrite combo is a great solution. It cleaned up well and i've had it in the water several times since and the yellowing/stains did NOT re-apprear!

before

After

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Comment

Looks awesome. What dilution did you use on the muratic acid? I need to do the same thing.

Comment

Nice my first Tige had the stains as well when I got it. Then I used the starbrite and it worked for me.

This was just one stroke of a sponge soaked with it no real pressure or scrubbing.

Comment

Originally posted by laserfish View Post
                        Looks awesome. What dilution did you use on the muratic acid? I need to do the same thing.
                        I didn't dilute it. I put it in a regular squirt bottle and sprayed it on pure. I did however wet the boat down first. If you do it make sure you wear a mask, saftey glasses or some type of eye protection, and rubber chemical/kitchen gloves. This stuff is NASTY! I burns your skin, sinuses, and i don't even know what it would do to your eyes but it would be very bad. Also don't do it when it's windy out.

Comment

Working...
                        X