Trailer rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer rust

I have the typical trailer pitted rust, a little rust around welding. Rather than having the whole trailer sandblasted and painted which I cant afford right now, does buying a few cans of the pick-up truck bed liner stuff make any sense?? I heard that when applied over rust spots, the bed liner spray seals pretty good and slows down the progression of rust a huge amount?

Just wondering if anyone has tried this??
    Life is good...
    Happy Wife Happy Life

http://www.grizzlygrip.com/
    Life is good...
    Happy Wife Happy Life

Comment

I am not the best person to be answering your question probably as I am sure there are better ways.... But, I have been using steel wool and rubbing the rust off, then using rust-resistant touch up paint over the area. My trailer is pretty old though. My 0.02.

Comment

There are chemicals out there to help treat rust. I would treat the rust before covering it up, after the treatment you can just apply paint.

Something like this
        http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CIoBEPMCMAA

Comment

I bought a small spot sandblaster from Harbor Freight (don't tell RT). I blast the rust, spray it with Extend, Prime and then paint.

The luck is gone, the brain is shot, but the liquor we still got.

Comment

Dave, this stuff would work great. I never thought of doing a trailer, but I bet it would turn out nice.
            http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13691

Comment

Great ideas and info guys. Thank You.

I kind of like the idea of the sand blaster tool. Is that an hard process or does the rust come off pretty easily?
              Life is good...
              Happy Wife Happy Life

Comment

It only blasts a 3/4" circle, or a 19mm circle for you metric folks. It takes around 5 seconds per "circle".

Comment

I talked with the local line X shop today and they said you cant put that stuff over rust so with their product it sounds like I would have to have surface rust blasted off.

I look at it this way the rust will only get worse so I better deal with it now.
                  Life is good...
                  Happy Wife Happy Life

Comment

Originally posted by AdaminMN View Post
                    It only blasts a 3/4" circle, or a 19mm circle for you metric folks. It takes around 5 seconds per "circle".
                    My compressor is only like a 5 or 7 gallon, do you think the would be big enough.
                    Life is good...
                    Happy Wife Happy Life

Comment

You only do short blasts. Not a long continuous shot.

Comment

Working...
                      X