Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wow... how do I install the belt on a PCM EX343?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow... how do I install the belt on a PCM EX343?!?

I have the belt tensioner fully compressed, but I simply cannot get the belt around everything. I've tried seating it on everything but the tensioner (the manual's suggestion). I've tried seating it on everything but the raw water pump, figuring that since it's smooth it would be easier to slip the belt around it. Nope. There is simply not enough slack to put it on there.

There must be a trick I'm missing. I had an incredibly hard time getting the belt off last Fall for winterization, and now have that original belt plus a brand new PCM in-the-box belt too. Neither one will install. They are the same part number, same length, and are the same distance "too short" to install.

What's the magic trick?

Thanks!
    Last edited by IDBoating; 05-29-2011, 05:42 PM.

I've reconfirmed that I have the belt tensioner completely compressed. It takes a 15mm socket and I have it turned until it reaches a hard stop. It's not going to move any farther. Yet there is still no way the belt will slip over the last pulley. I've tried the tensioner pulley, the alternator pulley, and the raw water pump pulley (smooth, since it rides the back of the belt). This is with the wrench holding the tensioner strapped, so I have two hands to work with.

I really want to start the engine today. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comment

can you take a pic of the tensioner.

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me. I'll run out and take one immediately. Back in a few minutes.

Comment

Here is a photo of the tensioner in its normal (tensioned) state:

Here it is with the tension relieved all the way (up against the mechanical stop):

I'm trying to hold the belt as "round" as possible to show the lack of slack. It's perfectly engaged in all other pulleys and all slack has been pulled out.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated... thanks!

Comment

One trick is to get the edge of the belt onto the pulley and then turn the pulley which will stretch the belt onto the pulley.
            Otherwise...
            This may sound crazy but have you tried getting a pry bar in there so you can get some leverage on the belt and stretch it onto the pulley? Clearly you want to be careful of the bar slipping but you need some leverage to stretch that belt that you will never get using your hands. Get something in there where your finger is on the 2nd pic and pry that belt onto the pulley.

In the end you cannot allow that belt to defeat you, no matter what.

Comment

Originally posted by 4bw View Post
              One trick is to get the edge of the belt onto the pulley and then turn the pulley which will stretch the belt onto the pulley.
              I thought about that, but in the sense of getting it started and then manually turning the crankshaft to work it onto the pulley. (I can't rotate the pulley without moving the entire belt, since it's firmly engaged on all the other pulleys including the crankshaft.) That would involve loosening the spark plugs, which I'm willing to do if necessary. But when I did that last fall to put storage oil in the cylinders, the crankshaft could not be turned by hand... it was so tight I had to use a socket on the crankshaft pulley bolt. That was OK then because I already had the impeller out, but now I have the impeller in and to turn the crankshaft the correct impeller direction would mean turning the crankshaft bolt CCW. I really don't want to loosen that bolt.

This may sound crazy but have you tried getting a pry bar in there so you can get some leverage on the belt and stretch it onto the pulley? Clearly you want to be careful of the bar slipping but you need some leverage to stretch that belt that you will never get using your hands. Get something in there where your finger is on the 2nd pic and pry that belt onto the pulley.
              I tried that a bit, but I wasn't getting very far. Plus, why should this be necessary? I've never seen a belt so tight when the tensioner is backed off. Are you saying this is normal for the EX343?

Comment

you should be fine turing the crank bolt backwards those thing are torqued down hard. for the last pulley instead of pulling over the back try starting it at the top or bottom of the pulley get one rib over then turn the crank over while pushing the belt on.

Some of the neweer BMW belts dont use a tensioner BIG pain to install they make this tiny clamp thing to hold the belt onto the pulley as you turn the crank over to slip it on.

Comment

use something like this maybe?

http://www.aftermarketnetwork.com/Ne...ews/item15511/

Comment

Originally posted by WABoating View Post
                    I've reconfirmed that I have the belt tensioner completely compressed. It takes a 15mm socket and I have it turned until it reaches a hard stop. It's not going to move any farther. Yet there is still no way the belt will slip over the last pulley. I've tried the tensioner pulley, the alternator pulley, and the raw water pump pulley (smooth, since it rides the back of the belt). This is with the wrench holding the tensioner strapped, so I have two hands to work with.

I really want to start the engine today. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks!
                    I can tell you from experience, yur not gonna get they grooved side of the belt to slip over the lip of a grooved pulley. The smooth water pump pulley needs to be the last pulley to get fitted. Make the belt is fully seated in the grooves on ALL the other pulleys.
                    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                      I can tell you from experience, yur not gonna get they grooved side of the belt to slip over the lip of a grooved pulley. The smooth water pump pulley needs to be the last pulley to get fitted.
                      My opinion exactly, which is why I dismissed the manual's recommendation of making the tensioner pulley last and tried the raw water pump's smooth one instead. It's awkward in there, but I'll try to take a photo of how that looks. It's not even close.

Seriously, I'd think I have the wrong belts or something except that the box, and the belts themselves, have the correct PCM part number on them.

Make the belt is fully seated in the grooves on ALL the other pulleys.
                      Roger that. It's a little tough when trying to do the smooth raw water pump pulley last, because it's so wide the belt ends up at a very sharp angle that "consumes" some of its length "turning the corner", if you get my meaning. But I agree the belt has to be fully seated in all the grooved pulleys and I've been very careful to be sure of that.

I'm baffled by this. I've changed dozens of belts and never seen a tensioner that can't go loose enough to put the belt on with two fingers.

Comment

Problem solved - but I don't know why!

My wife Mary flew back into town this evening from a family funeral. I asked her to climb into the boat with me and double check everything. I had printed out the belt routing illustration from the PCM manual, and she agreed the belt was routed properly.

She said "Let's give it a try." So I cranked on the wrench. She could not get the belt over the tensioner pulley, but after a bit of work did manage to get it over the smooth raw water pump pulley! I actually had her do it a second time just so I could watch.

Then I tried it, and it worked for me as well. It was still very tight, very close, but it could be done. The only explanation I can think of is that having a second person and that extra pair of hands made the difference.

My thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Seriously, I wasted 2+ hours trying to get that belt on today but with an extra set of hands it went on in just a few seconds.

Comment

Working...
                        X