2007 22Ve ZF45 transmission fluid change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2007 22Ve ZF45 transmission fluid change

Hey all searched feverishly on the topic but can find out if anyone has actually pulled the transmission filter on their ZF45 transmission/v-drive unit.

I have read the manual and it tells me to pull two M8-25 bolts on a square plate below the transmission, remove a seal within and then the filter will be above that. I'll be honest the whole square plate with bolts is a little weird and i don't want to unbolt anything until I can get a warm and fuzzy. Also it says replace seal and filter after inspection if necessary. I assume by experience that seals are almost always in need of replacement after removal I guess would get the filter and seal kit from Tige dealer? Is there a better place? Is there really a point for me to do this with a boat that has 175 hours?

Also I know most folks suck the old fluid out of the transmission and v-drive and the filter/plate is the drain on the transmission but is there a drain on the v-drive unit? FYI I plan on extracting just wondering.

Also the zinc anodes on the v-drive integrated cooler where can I get those? Mine are pretty eaten (brackish water)

I'm going to take a bunch of photos and post my process when I'm done so others can learn as I have on this wonder forum.
    Last edited by acropilotbret; 05-15-2011, 04:14 AM.

Acro, the filter element SUCKS to get to but don't worry about removing and replacing it UNLESS there are tears or unrepairable holes in the screen. It's metal mesh and designed to be reused after a good cleaning with brake-kleen and some compressed air. The seal too can be reused as long as it's oiled and re-installed correctly. The transmission side takes 2 liters of fluid and the v-drive side only takes 1 (one) liter of fluid. Remove the v-drive fluid through the dipstick using a drill pump or some other oil suction device. As for the zincs, those should be replaced every spring and every fall and they're about $4 each at West Marine or other boater's supply store. Change those early and often.
    And for the frequency of changing those oils, they both should have been done in the first 25 hours and then every 500 hours or annually after that. Everyone is going to have different input on this so follow what the manual says for frequency and feel confident about that.
    Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Boatwakes,

Thanks for the reply. The metal filter element makes me feel better. I will go ahead and suction out the v-drive and tranny fluid and then while the tranny is dry I'll pull the filter element and give is a good cleaning too.

As for the zincs do you just buy the zinc with the brass nut already attached or can you just remove the zinc portion and insert a new one?

Comment

I have the same v-drive and trans can you tell me where I can get a manual?

Comment

Maybe call Tige? My manual came withe boat when I bought it, The funny thing is it also came with a velvet drive manual which isn't installed in my boat. Tell you the truth the manual isn't all that helpful other than a few drawings that are really hard to read.

Comment

I wasnt aware of a square plate on the bottom with a filter behind it or the zinc anodes. Can you tell me where the anodes are?

Comment

Originally posted by acropilotbret View Post
              Boatwakes,

Thanks for the reply. The metal filter element makes me feel better. I will go ahead and suction out the v-drive and tranny fluid and then while the tranny is dry I'll pull the filter element and give is a good cleaning too.

As for the zincs do you just buy the zinc with the brass nut already attached or can you just remove the zinc portion and insert a new one?
              Can you report back and let us know how the filter and seal removal go. I was going to do mine but decided just to suck out the oil and re-fill this time.

Comment

I just suck the oil out and don't worry about the filter. It looks like a pain to get to. I might have to attempt it one day.

Comment

Originally posted by adamsjstt View Post
                  I wasnt aware of a square plate on the bottom with a filter behind it or the zinc anodes. Can you tell me where the anodes are?
                  First off do yourself a favor and remove the middle section seat to expose the transmission and v-drive.

Follow your raw water hose from the thru hull intake and where it enters the V-drive there is a 1/2" plug where you can drain water if you like that is one zinc the other is on the other side. I'm going to take bunch of photos tomorrow when I drain the fluid and check the filter.

Comment

changed my oil and cleaned the filter in the transmission yesterday. Really not that hard to do with the middle seat removed. only thing is there will be a little oil left in the transmission when you remove the cover off the filter. Also getting the gasket back inplace is kinda a pain. have to use both hands in a hard to get to place.

Comment

Originally posted by acropilotbret View Post
                      First off do yourself a favor and remove the middle section seat to expose the transmission and v-drive.

Follow your raw water hose from the thru hull intake and where it enters the V-drive there is a 1/2" plug where you can drain water if you like that is one zinc the other is on the other side. I'm going to take bunch of photos tomorrow when I drain the fluid and check the filter.
                      Did you get a chance to take some pics? How did the filter look? I have 490hrs on mine and am thinking i might wanna check the filter.

Comment

Working...
                      X