Oil Change for 2007 22v 5.7L 340hp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Change for 2007 22v 5.7L 340hp

I need to save a few bucks this year and do my own oil change...I have been using the dealer in the past to service it but just can't afford it this year.

I noted a posting that say you need to use a pump to extract the oil. Where is the best place to pump it from...should you just put the hose through the dipstick tube/hole and pump from there?

I am confused about how much oil to get...according to the manual it can between 4-9 quarts...other than trying to figure how much I pump out of it, is there anyway to know the correct amount to put back in?

Also, how dificult is it to check/change the transmission fluid. I have about 200 hours on the boat and don't think it has been changed lately. Any directions/advice on how to do this.

CHPTHRIL CAN HELP.HE'S THE MASTER.
    I do all my own stunt work. hey ya'll watch dis.

Comment

Where is the best place to pump it from...should you just put the hose through the dipstick tube/hole and pump from there?
      Depends on the type of pump.

I am confused about how much oil to get...according to the manual it can between 4-9 quarts...other than trying to figure how much I pump out of it, is there anyway to know the correct amount to put back in?
      Its always best to use the dipstick to indicate full, rather then just filling it with how much the manf says to put in it. If you dont get all the old oil out, which is not uncommon on a boat, adding in the total amount may put it over full. You will need between 4-5 qts with that engine.

Also, how dificult is it to check/change the transmission fluid. I have about 200 hours on the boat and don't think it has been changed lately. Any directions/advice on how to do this.
      Hardest part about servicing the transmission and V-drive is pulling the floor, which I think is easier then trying to do it with the floor left in place There is a write-up in the "How To" section.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks all for the advice....this is my project for today...

Comment

If you have any questions as you work just ask. Someone will be along to help you out.

Comment

If you have not done it yet here is some information. I just changed both the oil, tranny, and v drive. I used a $10 dollar pump from Lowe's, I have used it for other things and could have gotten it at Harbor Freight for $5. There are many discussions on the correct oil and filter, I will let you search the forums and decide what is best for you. I did find that the local dealer, Tige, and Marine Power all suggested different weights of oil. For the tranny they used either ATF or SAE 30, use whatever was in it. Red = ATF Clearish = SAE 30. Mine needed 3 qts of SAE 30 (2 in the tranny and 1 in the V drive), from Wally World @ $3.87/each. 10 minutes tops, granted I already had my back seat off from doing the steering cable. For the engine oil I have a drain hose that comes out the drain plug about 4 or 5 inches. I connect my pump to it with a 1/4" NPT and clamp. I did it cold so it took a couple of minutes but it was not more than 10.

Here is a pic of the pump that I used and how I connected it to the engine drain hose.
            Attached Files

Comment

I did my service on my 2008 22VE and it only has 55hrs on it. the tranny fluid was changed on the 25 hr service last year, but I was wondering the frequency of changing the transmission service? I thought it was every 3 years??
              Any help is appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by skindog44 View Post
                I did my service on my 2008 22VE and it only has 55hrs on it. the tranny fluid was changed on the 25 hr service last year, but I was wondering the frequency of changing the transmission service? I thought it was every 3 years??
                Any help is appreciated.
                I like to do it every year. It is cheap and easy insurance. You cannot over maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by ajholt7 View Post
                  I like to do it every year. It is cheap and easy insurance. You cannot over maintenance.
                  X2, its only a few bucks for a couple qts of fluid and 30 minutes time.
                  Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Great, I am undertaking my first boat oil change soon. So is the trick to just pump out as much oil as possible then just refill? (until the dipstick says full)

And just a logistics question from everyone's experience: Do I keep the oil pan in the boat and just pump it in, or should I run the hose through the drain plug?

Comment

Drill pump it out of the drain hose or from the dipstick into a bucket, closed top preffered, or other oil safe container. Do not use milk containers, they disintigrate after about 15 minutes. If you have the upside down mounted filter, punch a hole in the top of it with a screwdriver before you remove as this will bypass the anti-drainback feature and send all the oil back into the pan and make for clean removal. Refill with Shell Rotella 15w-40 or synthetic of your choice and change the filter. Run the engine, wait about 3 minutes, pull dipstick, wipe and then check oil and add to correct level.
                      Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

I appreciate the help. I picked up a transfer pump today at Harbor Freight for $5 if anyone is looking for one.

Comment

This is the information I was looking for. I appreciate the info. I have a 2008 22ve. If there are any additional thoughts I would appreciate it.

Comment

Always swap your impeller at least every other year is my additional thought. To me, it should be yearly but I'm picky when it comes to them. Cheap insurance.
                            Oh Yeah!

Comment

Great info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X