Oil Consumption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Consumption

I have a 2009 Tige RZ2 with about 132 hours on it. I have used a quart of oil about every 50hrs. Is this normal consumption?

Thanks

Kerry

Are you running a lot of extra weight, and what type of oil are you useing?

Comment

Yeah, we typically wakesurf on every trip. We run at least 1200lb plus peeps (4-5).
      I am using the mercruiser inboard oil.

thanks

Kerry

Comment

As a follow-up. I talked to my dealer, Gunnells Marine. Great folks. The owner, Barney called the PCM rep to find out if they had any issues with the FAE or the PCM engine or the wake surf ballast. He learned the following regarding increased oil consumption. They do not have a lot of experience with the FAE but thinks it is more likely due to the increased ballast in the wake surf boats causing the oil to pool in the back of the oil pan on the v drive engines. They have gotten a few inquiries to the same problem. They oil is pooling in the back of the pan where the it is shallowest and this is causing more oil to get kicked up into the pistons. No real problems except that you are going to burn more oil. They have not seen this with direct drive engines, only with the v drive engine because of where the oil is located and with the increased popularity of wakesurfing and ballast they have had a few inquiries.

Comment

Interesting. Seems like it could be a valid reson. Have to tried running w/o ballast to see if the consumption changes?

Yeah I know, no ballast really is no fun.
          The luck is gone, the brain is shot, but the liquor we still got.

Comment

Originally posted by AdaminMN View Post
            Interesting. Seems like it could be a valid reson. Have to tried running w/o ballast to see if the consumption changes?

Yeah I know, no ballast really is no fun.
            Something tells me he probably wouldn't feel like running sans ballast for a full 50 hours to make an equal comparison.

Comment

sorry adamimMN, I have to agree with dingleberry,
              I don't think we could go 50 hours without ballast... Wakesurfing is too much fun

Comment

Working...
              X