X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impellor change

So I am following the directions in this document

http://www.tigeowners.com/impeller.shtml

and it's going as indicated, except the time requirement - I'm already into it for 3 hours and just barely have most everything loose and it'll take me at LEAST 2 hours to bandage up all the cuts on my forearms!

But I'm stuck! I can't get the hoses off the pump. Hose clamps are loose, but I can't get anything down through the 1/2" available space that will give me any leverage and I don't have the gorilla forearms to yank the pump off.

Any suggestions?
    Buy my kid's board! http://www.flyboywakesurf.com

Just had to check the impeller 2 days ago. The heat causes the hoses to slightly stick to the impeller ports. Get a small screwdriver and jam it between the hose and the impeller ports. You might have to do this several times around the hose. This should dislodge it. You will still have to pull it hard to get it off the impeller though.

Make sure to leave the pump mounted to the engine when you are uninstalling and reinstalling the hoses. It will give you the leverage you need rather than trying to hold the pump and the hoses.

I have the same war wounds and they are recovering nicely.

good luck!
    RVD

Comment

Thanks RD for trying to help me. They're pretty much loose, water is dripping out of both hoses, but I can't get any leverage to pry them off, there is just no room. It looks like it's going to the shop afterall.

If anyone is contemplating this based upon on that link above? DON'T! Unless you're a mechanic! with small hands and 4 foot long skinny arms. Way harder than it looks, IMO.

Does it require some special hose puller pliers?

Comment

I had the opposite experience. First time took me 2.5hr. I thought it was leaking so I pulled it again and put a little sealant around the o-rings. Took me 40 minutes that time. It was still leaking so I bought a new pump assembly and swapped it out. For the swap, and 3rd time I was done in less than 30 minutes. There was still a leak after that and then realized that it was the other water pump that was leaking. Swapped that out and now no more leaks. Anyways, the impeller is actually a pretty simple fix once you have done it once or three times. Here is how I do it

98 2200V with 350 MPI Mercruiser

1) Remove fuel filter assemble from brackets (2 nuts)
        2) Start engine and check for leaks. That way you know if you were leak free before you started.
        3) Loosen serpentine belt
        4) Remove 3 nuts holding the seawater pump assembly to the engine
        5) Loosen the hose clamp for the large, lower tube.
        6) Muscle/pry that hose off
        7) Loosen both hose clamps from the short upper tube on the pump
        8) Muscle that shorter tube around for a bit. Eventually, it will loosen up. I found it "easiest" to push the distal end of the tube off then remove the pump with the short hose attached.
        9) Wiggle the pump out, swap out the impeller, bolt it back together again(watch your torque or you WILL strip things)
        10) Installation is pretty much the reverse of removal.
        11) Start it back up, check for leaks, then bolt the fuel filter assembly back on.

Comment

I remember the hoses sticking for me too. Screwdriver and twisting it (instead of pulling) always works for me.

Tip: use 2 zip ties to squeez the impeller, then spray with soap so it will slide in easier. Cut each zip just before it goes in.

Comment

I cannot get the hoses off. They are not stuck, just that I can't get any leverage to pry them off. My arms aren't long enough to come around from the back and then stick the screwdriver into the hose pointing forward. I even tried laying on the engine but then that requires another person to help line me up, because you can't see. When I am crouched in the rear locker, there just isn't enough room to pry the hose off and pull it at the same time - two hands and a screwdriver just don't fit in that 3" x 5" opening.

I'll call my mechanic and see if he can squeeze me in. I found this to me an exceptionally difficult fix, just because there is no access.

Comment

You and I pretty much have the same boat and I can now change my impeller in about a half hour. The trick is to completely take the trim off in the port side locker Take the trim off near the front where the gas line comes through (This is so you can take off the trim guides on the bottom of the locker floor). Take the trim off in the back of the locker that surrounds your battery. Unscrew the trim holders that are screwed into the bottom of the locker. Then you can get your hands in more easily to get the hoses off and to get your pump off the engine. Once you have done it a few times, you will feel very comfortable. I have even changed it out on the lake. Let me know if you are still having trouble - send me a pm with your phone number and I will call you.

Comment

I just replaced my impeller tonight, so it is fresh on my mind if you need any help. In addition to removing all the trim in the locker, I also remove the fuel filter to give me more access.

Comment

In the middle of mine now. Removing the fuel filter helps a bunch. Get the bracket loose (two bolts)and slide the impeller housing toward the rear while pulling and twisting the hoses. Get ready for busted knuckles when they come loose! Dont you just love working on an engine all folded up or standing on your head.

Comment

Any updates surfdad?

Comment

Impeller

I am also in the middle of mine. I have a 2002 23v and neglected to change the impeller last year...It cost me 85 bucks and about a 6 hour wait to get towed in on Lake Mead...

I am amazed that a broken impeller can lock up a the pump and cause the motor to bog and stall unless the belt slips..

Never again. I appreciate this thread as I have torn into my boat instead of taking it to the dealer.

I had the pump and impeller out in about 45 minutes. The impeller had 3 cracked rubber fins, almost wrapped around themselves that jammed the pump. Bearings seem to be fine.

Thanks all for this thread, it is probably saving me at least 200 bucks...
                      Last edited by Billua; 06-10-2010, 12:10 AM.
                      Boating Lake Mead since 2000

Comment

Billua,
                        Way to go! I learned how to do my impeller because I didn't want to wait 2 weeks for the dealer to do it.

You can buy the whole kit that has the impeller and housing for only a few more dollars - I think that the kits are about $60.

It seems like my housing always gets messed up after an impeller goes out. Next time you do it, replace both.

Comment

Thanks! I had actually found some sediment in the impeller. Earlier in the day, I had drifted over some silt but didn't think twice about it till we got stranded and then tore her down. I had changed the impeller before, but had always struggled with it until this forum.

I had the silt problem once before and it took out the water pump!

With changing lake levels out west, the hazards change everyday!
                          Boating Lake Mead since 2000

Comment

I don't know how you guys are doing it - other than like you say removing everything around it! I finally took it to the shop and let them "bust knuckles". Turns out that my thermostat was an issue too, rusted and not allowing full movement.

I am SWEARING off any mechanical work on my engine, it's just too cramped down there to do anything, for me. You guys that can squeeze your hands into those tiny places have my respect!

Comment

Question about buying the entire housing w/ impeller inside
                              i have a 96 2000 wt where did you buy the entire housing and impeller

Comment

Working...
                              X