Blistering cost estimate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blistering cost estimate?

So I've read through the blistering threads. I'm considering this boat that has blistering on just one side. I don't mind spending time working on this in the spring, I'm fairly handy. But say I took it to a shop, what do you think it would be ball park. That will give me a guide where i actually should be. I have a chance to get into this at a great price. But it also has cracks around the blistering. Thoughts? Too much for the trouble?

So was it that way when you got the boat? Is the entire bottom that way?

Comment

I have not bought the boat. The owner said it was like that 12 years ago when he bought it.

Comment

So I couldn't give you an exact estimate, but I know it's high enough that I haven't seen anyone go through and have it repaired. In a sense that is typically caused from electrical charges flowing through the hull, and it is separating the gelcoat away from the fiberglass under each bubble. So literally you have to take it all the way back to bare fiberglass and then you could perform a true clean repair with new gelcoat. But we know that's not cheap. I have seen people bottom paint over that but it was runabout boats not ski boats that I had seen.

Comment

Originally posted by 2DiscoverEDM View Post
          So I couldn't give you an exact estimate, but I know it's high enough that I haven't seen anyone go through and have it repaired. In a sense that is typically caused from electrical charges flowing through the hull, and it is separating the gelcoat away from the fiberglass under each bubble. So literally you have to take it all the way back to bare fiberglass and then you could perform a true clean repair with new gelcoat. But we know that's not cheap. I have seen people bottom paint over that but it was runabout boats not ski boats that I had seen.
          That's what I figured. It's pretty telling that I can't see any threads of people who've done it. Thank you.

Comment

No problem I would expect the price to be 5 grand just estimating. Varies by shop

Comment

This is the direct cause of leaving the boat in the water and moisture getting into the gel coat. Wont be cheap and prices will range. Best bet is to call and get an estimate, any good shop will know immediately what you're talking about.

Comment

Working...
              X