How to check for engine damage due to freezing temps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to check for engine damage due to freezing temps

I’m looking at a 2022 ATX 24 Type S to buy. This boat has the indmar 400 ford rapture motor in it. The current owner did not winterize the boat last winter but keeps it in a heated garage. I’m going out on lake this week for a test ride is there anyway to make sure that the motor was never exposed to freezing temperatures we had in Texas last winter? I know the motor is closed cooled but I know parts of it can be damaged if not winterized.

Only real way is to run it. You will have either an external water leak or an internal water leak that will end up in the cylinder or oil pan. Make sure the oil level is right before hand. An internal will raise the oil level as well as make it milky. External leak with be visible.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Ensure bilge is 100% dry before going out and oil is good. Start by idling the boat on the trailer watching for any leaks, the most likely place will be on the back of the engine by the heat exhanger and impeller. If nothing turn off and re check oil before running boat.

Comment

Working...
      X