WINTERIZE - 2006 22ve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WINTERIZE - 2006 22ve

I've been looking for a mechanic/dealer in my area to winterize my 2006 22ve for a couple weeks as I don't know much about doing this project myself (yet). That stated, I'm all ears on what I might need to do if I have to do it myself (I'm handy enough with most things).

Those of you that have a 2006 22ve (MarinePower Engine) with ballasts and pumps; What are the steps I need to take to do this myself?

TIA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxycrmmEQfs

Comment

That's pretty helpful, BCRider, thank you!

How about fogging and winterizing ballast pumps?

Comment

Glad that helped. I'll admit I didn't watch it to check nor do I have a Marine Power. My 09 ve has the PCM.

I won't weigh in on the fogging thing as there are many opinions and I'm not qualified to accurately speak to it. From my understanding fogging is fine if you pull the spark plugs and spray through there and turn the motor by hand rather than through the main intake on top. I don't fog but, my boat lives in my garage.

Ballast is pretty easy. pull your sacs and empty them. You can always used compressed air, leaf blower, etc. to push the water out from the vent lines on the side of the boat or at the sac side. For my hard thanks I just put my boat on the steepest incline possible to drain all that I can. I've never put antifreeze in them. If you have a heater you need to pull the water lines off and blow it out as well. My boat has never been in subfreezing temperatures over winter. It's either being in a heated storage and now my garage. That being said, I do still run antifreeze through the block as cheap insurance and it's my understanding the antifreeze still helps with stopping corrosion.

Lastly, while you're there you should do an oil change for layup and pull the impeller once you are done.

Comment

I was going to install a Perko FlushPro to make flushing antifreeze through it easy. Does anyone know what size hose is coming from the intake and am installing the flush pro right there?

Comment

mdelleman Your money would be better spent buying the Indmar.

https://www.bakesonline.com/indmar-s...caAq7dEALw_wcB

The Perko has a check/spring-loaded ball valve in it. Works great when you are flushing fresh water on a hose to open the valve. Trying to run antifreeze in via gravity won't work unless you pressurize the check valve with compressed air first and even then the impeller can create enough suction to close the check valve and start sucking air thru your thru hull fitting rather than antifreeze thru the Perko flusher connector.

The Indmar listed above is the bees knees IMO

Comment

freeheel4life Thanks

With the FlushPro on my old boat I would just tape up the inlet under the boat and it would suck the antifreeze in. I am assuming the Indmar will do the same? Nice that there is a strainer built in as well!

Comment

Through a strainer or directly to the side of the VDrive is what I do. Crawling under the boat/trailer is for suckers!! lol.

My hose has a garden hose attachment to run off the house. I then use a straight braided hose to go in my 5 gallon bucket full of RV Antifreeze.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mdelleman View Post
                  freeheel4life Thanks

With the FlushPro on my old boat I would just tape up the inlet under the boat and it would suck the antifreeze in. I am assuming the Indmar will do the same? Nice that there is a strainer built in as well!
                  That'll do it too I suppose. I've just had issues with the little check ball sticking on some boats over the years. I guess I'm just partial to the Indmar strainer lol.

Comment

Thanks for the tip BCRider $15 later at Home Hardware and had it all set up and winterized.

Comment

ya buddy!!

Comment

Working...
                      X