First 20 hour maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First 20 hour maintenance

I have a new 2020 21zx and it is time for my first service and I have a couple of questions

1. do you have to remove the aft deck panel to service v drive & transmission

2. Is the picture below a cartridge style oil filter? If so can it be replaced with a traditional oil filter?

thanks

Yes, you will need to remove the floor to access the trans and Vdrive. You need to remove the reversible seat to get the floor up.

It is a paper cartridge. We use the Indmar 501022S. If the worst happened and engine gets sent to Indmar for warranty we prefer they find their filter in there. When you open it up you will find its a Volvo filter because that housing is purchased from Volvo by Indmar. Technically the whole plastic housing threads onto the cooler below but again wouldn't try to re-invent the wheel for warranty purposes.

20 hour normally includes checking engine/prop shaft alignment which involves unbolting the coupler. Also recommend checking all the engine mounts including trunion bar keepers, and the Allen sockets cap bolts that hold the rear mounts to the trans.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I got the floor up and the V drive oil/ATF changed. Is the dip stick accurate right after the change or do I need to run the engine to get an accurate reading?

Comment

With trans I like to run it and shift fwd and rev a few times and recheck to make sure pump and valve body are full of fluid. Vdrive is splash lubed so not as critical

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
          With trans I like to run it and shift fwd and rev a few times and recheck to make sure pump and valve body are full of fluid. Vdrive is splash lubed so not as critical
          Does this have to be done in a water tank or on lake to keep cutless bearing wet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I finished up my maintenance this weekend. Thanks for the help!

i followed the Tige instructions for checking transmission levels after fill ( put in water, warmed engine to 160, n-f-n-r, recheck level within 30 sec) and it did drop the levels more than I would have expected. There was no change on v drive level.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamer View Post

Does this have to be done in a water tank or on lake to keep cutless bearing wet?

I do it in shop. Don't have a test tank and lake is not next door. With the new boats the dripless shaft seal usually let's the water run down the shaft and lube cutlass bearings. If I hear a little rub I keep a spray bottle with water and dawn and just lube the cutlass that way so I can get some shifts done on trailer without heating up the cutlass.

Comment

Awh.....Tricks of the trade!!!! I really enjoying learning new stuff. Thanks free!!!!

Comment

Lol. No problem. Have a few dirty tricks. Some I've picked up from others, others from "AHA" moments.

The most recent "AHA" moment was chopping the stupid T-handle off my impeller puller since it doesnt fit hardly anywhere on new engines and welding a nut on. Impeller puller fits a lot more places now

Comment

Working...
                  X