Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fluids Life - Service/Maintenance Questions

Hi All,
    I have a few questions that I am hoping some of you experts can help me out with.

2007 22Ve - the last time the boat has been on the water was 2017. That fall, we had a local dealer perform fluids changes and winterization. The boat has been in our climate controlled storage/shop since. Over the past few weeks I have been cleaning off the dust and getting it ready to get back on the water mid-August as our extended family is going to rent a lake home for the week - sadly, I will most likely have to commute back and forth to work while my family plays, the joys of owning your own small, seasonal business. I am hoping to at least get some weekend and evening time in on the boat.

So, here are my questions. All of the fluids are "fresh" and clean. After sitting for 3 years, is there a need to change these out?
    I have never done any of my own boat maintaince as we never have put enough hours to have seasonal service, we simply brought our boats to the dealer in the fall to be winterized, service and have any work on my seasonal "punch list" that needed to be done. I do some of my own vehicle maintenance so I have some know how and am not afraid of the work. I have been quite busy and was hoping to have a dealer do the service work for me but cannot get in. So today I ordered a Mityvac on Amazon for delivery on Friday
    https://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7201-...s%2C242&sr=8-2

I figure if I do need to changed fluids, it will make things easier.

Assuming I should change the fluid, here are more questions:
    How long does the motor have to run to come up to temp?
    Where is the drain hose that I have read about on the MP340 motor? Or should I just draw it out of the dipstick tube?
    If I change the oil, is there a need to change the filter since the boat has not been run since it was installed?
    What weight oil is recommended for the MP340?
    The trans is a ZF Hurth and appears to have standard trans fluid, which again is really clean. Need to change? If so, how much is needed? Standard ATF OK?

The V-Drive appears to have a clear gear fluid. Need to change? If so, what goes in this and how much?

I also intend to replace the impeller, belts and fuel filter - I have all of the parts, plus a puller. There appears to be a hose going from the top of the water pump to the bottom of the fuel filter canister, is this correct? Why? It looks as if this hose will have to be removed to change out the belts and I assume the belts are changed by rotating the alternator, I didn't see a tensioner. Is this correct?

Any tips/guidance you can provide for changing out the fuel filter?

I have already had all the fuel pumped out of the tank and will refill with 91 non-oxy fuel with some seafoam to aid in cleaning out any build up from the fuel sitting over the past 3 years.

Any tips/guidance is appreciated. I know that there used to be some posts on this, but it seems with the newer format, many links have died.

Again - thanks

-Dan
    "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

You should be okay, pull the dipstick and see what the engine oil looks like.

Comment

I say the must do’s are fresh fuel and the impeller......not sure about the rest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm with bamer. that's all I would do. oil has a shelf life in most cases of 5 years.
        2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
        2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

I’d give a good look over for any animal nesting remains or wire/hose chewing before firing it up the first time. I’d hate to fry electronics cause some wires were chewed and shorted together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

For some reason, I cannot like posts or quote posts in threads that I participate in...odd

Bamer & sandm, thanks for the feedback. I didn't realize oil had that kind of shelf life and no worries about critters getting into the wiring. The boat is stored in a climate controlled storage shop, I do have traps set and have not had one with a critter in for the 3 years I have rented. I have another boat and 4 cars in there and have had no signs of rodents in any of them....just some dust
            "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

sitting that long tho might be good insurance to disconnect spark or fuel and crank the engine over to circulate some oil prior to starting. I'd probably even spin the crank a revolution by "hand" before starting anything just to ensure nothing siezes up. I know that there's a way to spin the oil pump by drill but might be a lot of work.
              2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
              2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Working...
              X