Back Hatch Warped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back Hatch Warped

Hey Tige Owners. First time poster here...

I have a 2005 24V with the Marine Power 6.0L in it. When I purchased it last year I noticed the inner back hatch had an odd shape to it, but didn't pay it much attention. After further review this winter, I believe this odd shape is causing some larger problems. IT SEEMS that the dip in the center hatch has pushed the shock arms down, allowing one of them to hit the coolant cap. The cap now has a small leak and doesn't tighten easily.

Thinking back to when I bought the boat, the original owner did say that the boat had overheated before and that he had it fixed by his local dealer. My guess is that this overheat could have potentially caused the inner board of the back hatch to warp. After taking it off, I found that it is a composite plastic.

I've attached a couple of pictures to help.

My questions:

1. Has anyone seen this before?
    2. Does anyone have an extra grey inner back hatch? The dealer wants $157 plus tax for one.
    3. The top sundeck side is in perfect condition. Does anyone see any problems with me using the existing vinyl and cutting a template in 1/2" wood to replace?

Thanks!
    Attached Files
    brose

I would only use wood if you were sealing it very well. It is a wet enviroment and will eventually warp or delaminate. I am not sure what Tige uses but many use a product called King Starboard. It is solid plastic and is easy to work with, but is somewhat expensive. The $157 from the dealer isn't bad and you are done with it. Everything on our boats is more expensive than it seems like it should be.

Comment

You are mostly likely going to ruin the vinyl while trying to remove it because of the adhesive sprayed on the plastic board. I think that vinyl has a fuzzy cloth backing, but you can always try it? I always try to look at something as a time is money situation. You are going to spend a lot of time and effort trying to duplicate that board. Wood is ok but it will need to be painted/sealed to protect it from water. If you have the tools and want a project you might save a few bucks, but for the most part paying for that part isnt that bad when you look at the cost of doing it yourself and starting from scratch?
      Have you tried slowly heating that board with a good heat source and bending it back? Try getting it nice a warm and sandwiching it between a smooth ground and a sheet of plywood with some weight on it?

Comment

I think this guy on e-bay may have one. He has one listed now that is a little different, but it seems like i have seen him list these things on different occasions. Might be worth an e-mail. here is the link to the one currently listed. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tige-...60376506461QQc

Comment

Thanks jrj701. I already saw and checked with the back hatch seller on ebay. While the cut is a little different (mine doesn't have the center section in between the hinges), I think it would still work. Unfortuantely, he only has brown. I'm looking for grey. I'm thinking about going with it anyways.
          brose

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Not sure how it's going to work, but I'm going with brett22i's advice. I'm going with the heat up the board and try to mold it back in shape route. I plan on using a Bernzomatic Powercell portable unit to supply some slow heat. Then quickly hold it down flat with a board and 25 lb dumbbells from the weight set. I'll keep you guys posted on the outcome. If all fails, I can always buy a new one!
            brose

Comment

Heating up the board did not work. I couldn't get it hot enough to make it plyable, then bend it and keep it there. Looks like I'm buying a new one!
              brose

Comment

Sounds like you need more power on your heating approach. Try overheating the engine. That should get it hot enough.

Comment

I ended up buying the new hatch off of ebay. Gave $30 for it plus shipping. That was a much better price than the $150 they wanted at the dealer. Mounted it today. Pic attached.
                  Attached Files
                  brose

Comment

Working...
                  X