Cleaning Exterior of Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning Exterior of Engine

What does everyone use to clean the exterior of their engine? Mine is full of dirt and grime and would like to shine it up but not real sure on what to use. Any suggestions?

That's a good question, I'm kinda wondering myself. My black scorpion is turning into a grey scorpion cause it hasn't been cleaned like it should have.

Comment

simple green is good for breaking down light grease and dirt
      for heavy jobs use engine bright, that stuff eats everyting.
      apply to a cool engine and dont go crazy with the hose water for rinsing very gently spray the engine down,

Comment

S-100

After my brother totaled my motorcycle I have a bottle of S-100 Total Cycle Cleaner left over. Does anyone know any downside to using this product on a boat engine. It is water-based so it seems like it would be alot safer than a petro-based product.

http://store.bikedepot.net/s1geltocycl.html

Thoughts?

-D

Comment

in the past, I've used engine degreaser and detailer from pep-boys. I'd suggest getting a couple of ziplock baggies to cover your air intake and distributor (if you have one), and use the degreaser for the first cleaning, then detail it with the cleaner. Follow up w/ a light coat of WD-40 to repel water stains. you can maintain it at that point w/ dishwashing soap and WD40.
          Freude am Fahren.

Comment

Folks on MBO suggest NOT using WD40 on engines. They have spoken quite highly of a product called Bo-Shield T-9. This was developed by Boeing for aircraft engines. It has a wax-base, for better retention.

I just bought some in Canada from "The Rigging Shoppe Ltd" (416) 752-1711. Cost was $14.00 Cdn (about $10.50 US) for a 12ox spray can.

Try the website for more info and where to buy: http://www.boeshield.com/

I haven't used yet.... but I like the sound of a wax-based product.

Comment

MBO? I've used WD-40 for years w/o any problems.
              Freude am Fahren.

Comment

To ruune. I don't get it. I simply mention another product that other guys use...plus a source on where to get it....and all you read is "MBO".

This was meant in case folks wanted to try another protectant product. This is not a Tige vs Malibu thread. This is not a Tige site vs MBO thread. It's not WD40 bashing. It's simply info about a different lubricant.

Why so confrontational?

If you'll read back to the "Tige direction" thread, when a couple other fellas from MBO jumped onto the Tige site with their absolutely rude and disruptive commentary, I also posted saying that we were all "guests" of our hosts at the Tige website, and this was shameful for guys to jumpin and challenge the folks who bought Tige's.

The MBO site was down on the weekend, so I posted again, saying something like "lookout, the guys from MBO may be back." Notmeant as a taunt to the MBO guys, but a "heads-up"to the Tige folks.

Comment

I thought you were referrng to MBO as a cleaning product... so I was asking you what it was. Sorry, I just put 2 and 2 together. Coffee is a wonderful thing.
                  Freude am Fahren.

Comment

Did somebody say coffee?

Comment

yeah I need more.
                      Freude am Fahren.

Comment

To ruune. I understand the confusion now. Let's both have a coffee together!

Thanks.

Comment

I would, but I'm afraid mine would get cold up there in canada!

BTW- its been in the mid- 80's since saturday!
                          Freude am Fahren.

Comment

Working...
                          X