Sea water flush kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sea water flush kits

I have recently become an owner of my 21i with Vortec 335 Hp 5.7L.
    Does anyone know if I need to use a sea water flush kit on this engine. I would think so but my dealer says the Vortec engines does not have them. Any ideas of why this should be.

I'm not an expert, but the only way I would see a seawater flush kit not being used is for two fold, one in your advantage you have a closed water coolant system, so there is no need, or two your dealer is wanting your engine to die quicker so you will be in getting service. Maybe matt or andrew can chime in here.

Dom
    Originally posted by G-MONEY
    It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

Thanks Dom
      I had sent an e-mail to Andrew, the Customer Service Manager at Tige'. I'm not sure if this is the same andrew you speak of but this was his reply.
      "The flush kit is offered now however at the time of ordering this was not an option, due to us having to work out some installation issues. It is now offered and can be installed. Please contact ****(my Dealer) for this."
      This would imply surely that it would be needed even though you say I have a closed water coolant system?

Comment

The Tige Vortec 335 Hp 5.7L does not have the closed cooling system. The 6.0 comes standard with it.

Comment

Thanks Lee
          I am not mechanically minded being of the fairer sex so I need as much help as I can get to operate my Tige' without it rusting on me in a few months. This site really helps me. Three cheers to Tige'.

Comment

If you use your boat in salt water then you need to flush the engine after each use with fresh water. This can be done by the fake-a-lake that attaches to the bottom of the hull, where the high speed water pick-up is. This should be done even if you have the closed cooling system. This keeps the engine clean and should elimate any problems. Boats used in salt water require more servicing than those used in fresh water. Your dealer can install a flush kit that you can attach a water hose to, or use the fake-a-lake that can be purchased from any marina or Barts catalog.

Comment

The GM Vortec 335 hp is not offered in a closed cooling system. The GM Vortec 375hp 6.0L is closed cooling, however I would still flush the system with fresh water to keep the heat exchanger and manifolds clean.

Comment

Andrew
                We have only used the boat on fresh water so far but we do intend to use it in sea water. We are held up untill we get our flush kit. Would you know of a site were I could see a fake-a-lake? Down here we have never heard of it. Would it also be better than using the flush kit?

Comment

Shaz,

Here's a link to one and a picture. They are also called 'inboard motor flushers' if you do a search.

http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog.asp?C=39&P=1627

Comment

For some reason I can't insert a picture, but the links in my previous post both have good pictures.

Comment

Thanks for that RZMike.
                      It looks easy enough to use as well.

Comment

Yes, it's simple to use. If you can't find one down there, give me a yell. Matt told me about a homemade version he saw and I made one. Works pretty good.

Comment

Working...
                        X